4 Speed Jackshaft Design

I'm not sure if someone already thought of this one, but I thought I might as well get a laugh out of it. I dreamt this up a few years ago. Hope this diagram makes sense:

J
P A
T C
O K
---~~~~~~~== Fourth Gear
| |
---~~~~~~~== Third Gear
| |
---~~~~~~~== Second Gear
| |
==~~~~~~~--- First Gear

The ~~~~'s are chains.

The |'s are a continuation of a shaft.

The ---'s are sprockets with sprag clutches.

The =='s are centrifugal clutches.

Ty

edit:The stupid spaces didn't show up and everything is out of alignment in the diagram. I'll upload a drawing tomorrow. Computers suck, buy a minibike!

Last edited:
On a typical lawn mower engine that won't have too much impact at all. Torque curves are generally flat up until 4k rpm then fall off. I would like to hear some others using even a two-speed JS to come here and defend that set-up. You want a CVT, go with a traditional torque converter.

As far as efficiency is concerned, you'll have to enlighten me. Load up a shaft with cogs/clutches and you have a whole lot of rotational mass and friction that little engine will need to work through to get to the driven wheel. I have no idea what your thought is on this as post #1 tells me little except same component makeup as my 1970 2-speed x 2 (which doesn't impress me much)

On a typical lawn mower engine that won't have too much impact at all. Torque curves are generally flat up until 4k rpm then fall off. I would like to hear some others using even a two-speed JS to come here and defend that set-up. You want a CVT, go with a traditional torque converter.

As far as efficiency is concerned, you'll have to enlighten me. Load up a shaft with cogs/clutches and you have a whole lot of rotational mass and friction that little engine will need to work through to get to the driven wheel. I have no idea what your thought is on this as post #1 tells me little except same component makeup as my 1970 2-speed x 2 (which doesn't impress me much)
Maybe it doesn't even need to be four-speed. It could still be a 3-speed if you take off the fourth clutch.

Also, I didn't mean to push this idea on the market. I read an old thread where somebody wished for this as a joke and I already had the idea in mind.