4hp vertical gokart

I’m building a gokart out of an old Murray push mower and I’m gonna use a vertical shaft 4hp Flathead but if I build the motor can I run a 5hp horizontal crank and rod in it and still run it vertical or will I have to make modifications?

Attachments

I’m building a gokart out of an old Murray push mower and I’m gonna use a vertical shaft 4hp Flathead but if I build the motor can I run a 5hp horizontal crank and rod in it and still run it vertical or will I have to make modifications?
Horizontal shaft engines are splash lubricated. Vertical shaft engines have a little oil squirter built into the sump. Your idea will not work.
If you want a horizontal crank in a flathead , EBay all day long. Good luck, have fun and be safe.

What is a mowerkart?

Horizontal shaft engines are splash lubricated. Vertical shaft engines have a little oil squirter built into the sump. Your idea will not work.
If you want a horizontal crank in a flathead , EBay all day long. Good luck, have fun and be safe.

What is a mowerkart?
It’s a old Murray push mower I’m turning into a yard kart

That would be better than trying to tip the engine on it's side.
For all the money and work that would be required to use the wrong engine, a good used Tecumseh or Briggs horizontal shaft engine can be had for less than a couple hundred.