4hp wotn start anymore

If the coil is outside the flywheel,rust on coil or flywheel magnets? If it's the type with points under the flywheel, the points and or condensor or coil? Kill switch wire shorting to ground somewhere?

If the coil is outside the flywheel,rust on coil or flywheel magnets? Kill switch wire shorting to ground somewhere?
Rust on the coil or magnets doesnt affect spark power. I would make sure the kill wire isnt grounded out. If it has points and condensor sand and clean the points and 99% of the time you will get spark back.

I know the engine is this video is a Briggs but its the same idea and procedure on a Tecumseh
YouTube - fixing the points on a briggs and stratton

If there's enough rust it will effect spark power. I've gotten a few engines with no spark, and cleaned the rust away, and regained spark. I know this didn't happen because I pulled the cover and put it back on. It had to be the rust.

If there's enough rust it will effect spark power. I've gotten a few engines with no spark, and cleaned the rust away, and regained spark. I know this didn't happen because I pulled the cover and put it back on. It had to be the rust.
Maybe when you opened the cover the Spark Bandit ran away. You know, the Spark Bandit, he steals your spark!:thumbdown::censure::sadcrying4::hack::confused::eek:ut:

I've seen this happen on 2 or 3 old engines before. You wouldn't think it would have much of an effect but once I sanded the rust off they had spark again.

Guess its just my ignorance. I have never had a flywheel so badly rusted that it would affect it.
Normally rust doesn't have an effect but the engines I was talking about looked like they were pulled out of the Titanic. Rust is non-magnetic for the most part and the material behind the rust stays just as magnetic as it ever was. That's why I was saying it doesn't really seem like it would effect the spark. I still don't understand why but I swear that fixed em.