5.5 Enduro OHV Doesn't Want to Run

RobK

I picked up a pressure washer with 5.5hp Enduro OHV engine. He said he had the carb rebuilt last summer and it was running fine. He just didn't want to mess with it any more. It will fire on a shot of carb cleaner, but won't keep running. I took the carb off and did a quick clean on it making sure the jet and everything else was clean. It's a float type carb with a primer bulb, no choke (which I hate). I didn't spend that much time on it, but thought somebody might have a suggestion.

Also, do these OHV engines have any value for a mini bike? Or are the flatheads more desirable. I'm a little more experienced with the Honda and clones and B&S.

One of our Doodlebugs has a 3 year old Tec 6 HP "Powersport" engine which is very similar to your engine. Overall it is a strong-running dependable engine that has worked very well on our mini-bike. If it has a negative point it would be that it does not idle down as low and smooth as I would like it to. You have to periodically "goose" the throttle a little bit to keep it from stalling.
Re: Ah, the infamous Tecumseh "primer bulb".....:eek:ut:
I am old enough to have had mini-bikes during the original craze in the 1960's, and as such have ALWAYS been a "choke"guy due to the fact EVERY engine I owned had a choke. This Tec "primer bulb" business was all new to me.:scared:
I have learned after trial and error that they are not so bad after all after you learn just how many "pumps" are correct for YOUR engine to start properly. It is not one size fits all- they are all different! My son and I were initially overpumping (4-5 times) and flooding the engine, which resulted in many additional pulls on the recoil. We have it down pretty good now (2 pumps) where it will start on the first pull 90% of the time, and within 2 pulls 100% of the time.
Do you know for sure that the primer bulb is working? If you pull the air filter off you should be able to see gas spewing from atop the tiny red tube inside of the carb. Be advised, however (VERY IMPORTANT) that even with the air filter removed both of the air filter BOLTS MUST be threaded in to maintain an airtight seal, as the primer bulb works on air pressure and moving air which in turn moves the gas. (I found this out the hard way):doah: