5.5 honda build

Hey guys i went with the 5.5 honda lol...gonna be building it up to around 14 + hp..... been looking at a couple kits not sure what route i will go.....more updates and pics soon ....any suggestions will be greatly appreciated

trinik7597

the honda gx160 is a good little engine . crack it open and see what you are starting with . depending on model you will either have a flat top piston or a 14cc head . but you are going to need to combine the two of them and will never get both . some bigger valves like 28/25 and head work will be necessary too. a good decent lift cam , billet rod , billet flywheel , heavier valve springs , a slide carb and intake manifold , and a good header etc. that should give you a nice motor . i dont know about 14 hp but good :thumbsup:

Not exactly what you are looking for but close, this is a stroked GX160 build, with a GX200 crank. As everybody will tell you start out with a bigger CC block, that's a no brainer, but if you already have a 160, build it. You can always throw the same parts in a larger motor anytime you get bored with the 160. I have a GX160 I am building now. GX160 block, Z4M Honda Flat top piston,+.010 ARC rod, Billet Flywheel, RTC-8 head off of a harbor Freight non-hemi predator, black mamba sr. cam, 26 lb. springs, 1.3 stamped ratio rockers. I had to clearance the block barely to fit the cam, but its fun to build these motors, and you can always upgrade the block and at least reuse some of your parts. Good luck with your build. I will at some point get a larger GX200 when I come across a block, the GX200's are harder to come by for sure. Anyways, the build.

http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/honda-clone-predator-engines/108670-strocker-motor.html

Last edited:
Gx200 blocks are plentiful and only cost $20-30 more per block than a cheap clone block...

If you want... And have not bought parts yet.. You can use the predator crank, Rod and flywheel, and make the gx160 a mini stroker...
And after you want a gx200 or clone reuse these parts in the new block...
Circle mill the head and let the piston pop up inside the head and use gasket thickness for proper clearance...
This will be a good jump in compression ratio...

Gx200 blocks are plentiful and only cost $20-30 more per block than a cheap clone block...

If you want... And have not bought parts yet.. You can use the predator crank, Rod and flywheel, and make the gx160 a mini stroker...
And after you want a gx200 or clone reuse these parts in the new block...
Circle mill the head and let the piston pop up inside the head and use gasket thickness for proper clearance...
This will be a good jump in compression ratio...
From my experience, and maybe its limited, but I haven't been able to find a good used GX200 block for a very good deal at all. Where are you finding the Genuine Honda GX200 blocks at?

There is obviously a lot of different opinions out there but why in the world would you put clone or predator parts in a true Honda ??? The best head bar none for a gx160 or 200 for that matter is a 14cc Honda casting or an 18cc milled

I think nrracing was selling gen. 200 blocks for about $100 bucks
Thanks Trinik. Yeah I saw those. But that isn't a bargain considering I can find complete gx160's for $100 pretty easily. That's tank to carb. 100 for a bare block. I'll take the running one any day. Maybe I'm just cheap lol. I guess I should say good used genuine gx200's aren't plentiful in my experience, new is pretty easy to find.

Last edited:
I am talking about just the block only... No side cover or internals... The new Honda blocks are very nice... Extra ribbing, supports, and built up in a few places... Really,nice pieces!!!
Because clone and predator parts are cheap and easy to find...

A Predator crank for $20.00 and a extra 40mm stroke for free...

I have broke Honda cranks and billet cranks... So for $20 bucks I will use a predator crank... A 2.756 piston with rings for $20.00 sure why not...
If going that route you want a billet rod and flywheel anyway... So get one to fit whatever predator crank you have...

You can build a good 20hp motor for not all that much if you shop,around...

Search the Internet they have Honda blocks on special all the time...
One place that is a bit more $$$ but has sales and free shipping sometimes is Motorcycle, Snowmobile, and ATV Parts & Accessories. Part#12000-Z4V-406 CYLINDER ASSY.
I will have to check my home computer to find the cheaper place...

Last edited:
Yes it can... My close friend did just that, takes some machine work to get everything right...
The motor was a beast on the track... He had to gear way down to quit spinning the tires...

He got a sleeve from Summit Racing for a V8 same bore size... It was long enough to cut in two and use it in two blocks...
He even left the sleeve up a bit to provide a oring set up to seal the copper head gasket...

Yes... Seen it at Costco....
With what some spend on a box stock motor you can buy the whole generator and just use the motor...
I hope they come out with the replacement engine for that and just get it!!!

I have also seen a 224cc on a Toro snow blower with a Hemi head!!!