5.5hp honda or 6.5 briggs

mac350

crappy briggs, what are you crazy. what country you live in. briggs baby. i love them. you must drive a honda with an American flag on it.

Motra

Both are good engines but I think the Honda seems to fit minibike frames better because it's a little shorter and the throttle control is easier to adapt for minibike use. I've found the OHV Briggs to be too tall to fit in the frame with the original gas tank.

Motra

I think most briggs are made in china now. So I would chose a honda because they have quality control.
I wouldn't say "most" of their engines are made in China, but the ones that are made there are Briggs & Stratton designs made in their own manufacturing facilities with strict quality control, and they fully support all their engines with warranty, service, parts availability, etc. They're certainly not just throwing their stickers on crap engines. Honda makes engines in China too!

Last edited:
crappy briggs, what are you crazy. what country you live in. briggs baby. i love them. you must drive a honda with an American flag on it.
I am sold on the honda 6.5 clone for 100.00.:thumbsup: good amount of power for the price and 45mph with no bolt ons

those motors are huge. there's no way it will fit with the tank, exhaust and air cleaner assembly on there.

you're best bet would be probably to get a 5.5 or 6.5 clone. if you like the vintage flathead look then do that.

it'd be a wheelie monster. you aren't going to get any more rpm out of that motor (probably less) and that's what determines the top speed on these things. it's also going to have a 1" shaft (at least) and clutches for those are around $130.

here's a video of a guy that put a 13hp in a doodlebug.

YouTube - Doodle Boss 13hp

i'd take a 6.5 clone over a 13hp one any day.

Last edited:
i don't know. you can't figure out that kind of stuff without knowing the gearing and other crap. he got destroyed by a 500cc utility quad (in another video) so it's not super fast (i'm sure he's still doing 40+ and quicker than most mini bikes).

i'd rather take a 5.5/6.5 and do some mods so it's making the same or more power.

you also need to consider the weight with that. there's no way i'd want to be picking that thing up to stick it in the back of the truck.

think about it, if this was a really good idea wouldn't people be running the 13 horse motors instead of the 6.5s?

Last edited:
i just got the 5.5hp honda and now i'm going to be painting the frame and i have to bend the front forks out because the person before me crashed the mini bike and it's bent into the frame. any ideas on how to bend it back? should i just use a tourch.