5hp Briggs Problems !

I picked up a 5hp briggs today for 25$ that looks like it came off a roto tiller or something, and the crankshaft is less than 3" long. The carb is bolted on all weird and uses allen wrenches instead of socket wrenches and all got stuck so i couldnt take the carb off to clean it so i just unbolted the diaphram cover and blasted some carb cleaner, then took off the head and scrapped off the tons of gunk and got it together now, and it still isnt running well. Oil changed and fresh gas, what should i do ? BTW, what could i do about the extra short shaft ?

The short shaft can be swapped out with another 5hp crankshaft fairly economically. Or you could run a simple sprocket and chain drive to a jackshaft and mount your centrifugal clutch on the jackshaft.

The shaft is only 1" long. But thanks for that "how to"

But see, the problem is that i cant undo the screws holding the carb to the gas tank. Their like weird allen wrench heads. And they alost are stripped out. :hammer:

Sound like your gonna need a damaged screw removal kit.
Craftsman part# 952154

I own one of these and I don't recommend using a drill to speed things up.:doah:

I would not weld bolts the allen wrenches... Its in atoo tight spot to muscle it out w/ a vice grip. I didnt that with the other screw. I might just sell the engine all together. But its a 1" shaft ?