5hp "lighting coil" setup

markus

Anyone have or seen any photos of how the lighting coil (I would guess the proper term would be "generator" but I dont want to confuse it...its for 12v output for a starter usually) setup mounts underneath the flywheel? Seem like they are usually found on the Military engines.

trying to figure out if there was only a certain block they worked with or anything like that for a future build and would like to be able to adapt the setup at a later time.

thanks

Markus, I have the lighting coil off of a nos (miltary) 5hp Briggs....I used the engine for a open motor for the kids racing kart. But I don't know what I done with the flywheel. :mad2: :mad2: hoping to use this on my Lil Indian bike I'm restoring. I'll post up some pics this evening.

markus

Markus, I have the lighting coil off of a nos (miltary) 5hp Briggs....I used the engine for a open motor for the kids racing kart. But I don't know what I done with the flywheel. :mad2: :mad2: hoping to use this on my Lil Indian bike I'm restoring. I'll post up some pics this evening.
cool :thumbsup: I would like to utilize one on my fox campus, My bike had the optional 4hp so I plan to use a 5hp block and updated mag for the rebuild and keep my 4hp shroud and tank. I have a few 5hps here right now as donors but I would like to avoid using the blocks with the oil sensor port as that will stick out like a sore thumb, I know the military had that so I dont know if there was also some special mount lug or shape cast into those blocks for the electrical as opposed to the other versions

I have the fake tank version of the campus which hides the battery so I can live without the charging system but it would be neat to not have to worry about charging.....and would be really dreamy to locate a 12 starter for it. While that would take away from OG look, jumping on and just pushing a button to start would be pretty dope :pimp:

CarPlayLB

Markus! You are so much better than that! Grind the sensor pad off, throw some bondo on there, and voila! Older style block! Never give up my friend!

markus

Markus! You are so much better than that! Grind the sensor pad off, throw some bondo on there, and voila! Older style block! Never give up my friend!
"cave it and pave it" :laugh: never thought about doing that, I have an I/C here with the sensor, have not tore it down yet, have to take a better look at it to see just how big the hole it and if the casting can be ground out. Were the blocks actually specific for the electrical or did I/C's of that vintage have them too, The one I have is a red '89 I think (still has ratchet starter)

CarPlayLB

The "electrical" block I had was different than a standard I/C. It had the older style intake flange without the oddly spaced third bolt hole. I have never seen any I/C blocks with the lugs. If I recall, there is a lot of material around that low oil port...enough that you may be able to blend it, but if it has the hole for the oil sensor, it may not work...depending upon how much bondo you want to use! If it's one of the blocks that just has the undrilled pad you may be cool

My I/C is model 133432-0041. It lists the alternator as an option. P/N 494254. However, it doesn't specify if you need to use the NLA electric start flywheel?

MB165

on electric start models the fan shroud is a little deeper to accept the thicker flywheel.

I have a point type block with the alternator bosses cast in at 4 and 5 oclock.

I have the fake tank version of the campus which hides the battery so I can live without the charging system but it would be neat to not have to worry about charging.....and would be really dreamy to locate a 12 starter for it. While that would take away from OG look, jumping on and just pushing a button to start would be pretty dope :pimp:
That is a good Idea...I like It !

MB165

let me know if you need it..... its just sitting has a fresh 10 over bore and new exhaust guide.... those alts. are 1.2 or 1.5 amp, 12volt, i think thats good for around a 10-15ah battery.

KK, is that shroud wider than normal? maybe its only wider for electric start types.....

Last edited: