6.5 Clone Gas Lever?

Hi All,
I have the old style HF 6.5 clone engine.What I was wanting to know is how is the gas lever supposed to be used? The other day I was experimenting and while the engine was running,I moved the lever to off.After waiting a bit the engine shut-off.I assume it ran out of gas.Anyway a couple of days later I went to start the engine up and it must have taken 30 pulls to get it going. This didn't seem normal on how the engine/gas lever is supposed to work.On my lawn mower engine I have a plunger thingy that you pump about 3 or 4 times to prime the carb.Works like a charm.

Thanks.

125ccCrazy

it's just a simple shut off valve attached to the carb instead of the gas tank.... If you had trouble starting it after letting run out of fuel choking it would have probably helped or there may be some debre in the bowl or valve not allowing a good fuel flow to fill the bowl again.... hard to diagnose without seeing it, only guesses.....

it's just a simple shut off valve attached to the carb instead of the gas tank.... If you had trouble starting it after letting run out of fuel choking it would have probably helped or there may be some debre in the bowl or valve not allowing a good fuel flow to fill the bowl again.... hard to diagnose without seeing it, only guesses.....
So to clarify,after shutting off the gas with the engine running the carb doesn't empty out?

yes it would. I've done the same thing...alternately after you run the gas out of the carb turn it back on choke it and rock the bike back and forth like five times, should start with one pull.

I moved the lever to off.After waiting a bit the engine shut-off.I assume it ran out of gas.Anyway a couple of days later I went to start the engine up and it must have taken 30 pulls to get it going.
You didn't really clarify whether, or not, you turned the gas back on. If so, it should only take about 10-15 seconds for it to refill. There's been guys on here that drill out the pilot jet, exact size, I'm not sure, when they have the type of problem that you're describing, and they don't have any more trouble. Good luck. Scott.

Thanks to all of you for setting me straight on this.I'm assuming if your going to store the engine for a while,like for example over the cold months then you would want to empty out the gas in the carb,huh? It seems like if doing so it would prolong the carbs life,at least some.