6hp tecumseh powersport crankshaft length

I'm interested in the 6hp tecumseh powersport ohv engines. Some of these come with a shaft length of 2 5/16, and some 2 9/16. A difference of 1/4 inch. I have a tav2 I want to use. Which shaft length should I go with.

The only one I have that came with a TAV 2 has the 2 5/16", with a spacer about 1/8" thick behind the driven. If I was buying a new engine though, I would get the 2 9/16". The measurement through the driven is around 2 3/4"

I don't have a spacer on the driven clutch. What do you mean by behind the driven? Shouldn't either crank work? It's a difference of 1/4inch. Do I have to cut the (drive) clutch spacer if I use the 2 5/16 crank?

Shouldn't matter The driver will lock in the key of either one and the bolt can be of any length needed. I've used Tav's on both sizes. Some you can use a spacer ring or make one if needed. Just buy the engine that is the best price or go longer if same price. :thumbsup:

I've got the same problem over here too. The shaft length (6.0 hp Tec) is significantly shorter than the drive hub for the TAV. I can just bolt it up, an it would probably work, but a short extension on the end of the c/shaft to fill the void would sure be nice.

Plus, I saw just such an item the other day, but on a small 5/8" shaft.... actually a small keyed extension that was held in place by the end bolt on the crankshaft.

If it would have been a 3/4" shaft, I would have bought the whole motor just to get the extension.

mardyn

crankshaft lengths

As far as adding length to the end of the crank, I think a couple of washers could work. There is a difference of 1/4inch between the two shaft sizes. any more ideas?

kbs8ball

I made a shaft extension for my tavII on a hs40. I wasnt comfortable having the driven slightly engaged on the crank. I used an old shaft that was already keyed, I cut it to length and used a hardened set screw to attach it to the crank. then ran the end bolt into the head of the set screw. its a solid set up that gives full engagement of the crank to the pulley.

I made a shaft extension for my tavII on a hs40. I wasnt comfortable having the driven slightly engaged on the crank. I used an old shaft that was already keyed, I cut it to length and used a hardened set screw to attach it to the crank. then ran the end bolt into the head of the set screw. its a solid set up that gives full engagement of the crank to the pulley.
I used one of these adapters on a Tav before. :thumbsup: only a couple bucks. :thefinger:

I don't have a spacer on the driven clutch. What do you mean by behind the driven? Shouldn't either crank work? It's a difference of 1/4inch. Do I have to cut the (drive) clutch spacer if I use the 2 5/16 crank?
Mine had a washer like spacer on the crank, The H70 had one too. There's no need for an extension, unless it makes you feel better. With an extension, you're only adding length, not strength, other than the bolt. I've worked on a few karts with OHH60 and Tecumseh Enduros, and they've had varying lengths and no extensions.

Where did you find the adapters? Thanks
Zip, I got them from Max tourque and they sell clutches with long keys so you can use them on engines with stubby shafts (like edgers) He just asks what length your shaft and thread is and sends them to you.

For the tav I had to drill the hole larger for the bigger bolt but that was easy on the drill press. (one minute) They work great. :thumbsup:

george3

I have a tav-30 that I was going to put on my bonanza when I get time to finish it. thanks to 8ball and the pictures of his super nice bonanza. (wish I owned). seem to me that cool spacer will do nothing unless it buts up aginst the crank shaft 100%. and if ground to fit, best be sure the grind is square. anybody agree. more imput on this idea would help alot of minibikers out there. Is that spacer made as grind to fit?