70 Ruttman Horny Toad refurb

I bought my first mini bike on Mothers Day at a garage sale a 70 Cat Eliminator. Then a last Sunday I picked up this non running 70 Ruttman with an old Briggs on it off Craigslist for $110. I was told it ran last year, got it home no gas in the tank. Fired right up. It was originally orange underneath about 4 layers of years of bad paint jobs. I broke it all down Monday and I took it to my friend who owns a sandblasting/ paint shop for mostly Agricultural Equip. He blasted it and painted it with a flat black epoxy primer for me. I picked it up today. I decided to go with a 50's hot rod look to it. Here are some before and after pics.I will update this thread as progress goes on. BTW this is a great forum and I am learning a lot! IMG_20150517_195731_111.jpg

Nice progress. I was supposed to go buy that minibike on the weekend but the guy didnt answer when I called and I ended up going to a party for a few hours and it was sold by the time I got home. Nice bike though. I have a lot of minibikes anyway ;)

Looking good. Let me know if you have any decent places to ride by your house. If not I have some good spots by my house and you live about 10 min away I think. I even have a few extra minibikes so you wouldnt need to worry about bringing yours. Were you gonna buy a seat or make one?

I happened upon this thread because of the Redirect problems and I'm glad I did! I dig the 50's retro hot rod look with the wide whites.
I'll be watching this build if I can get back it. :glare: LOL

Shawn

Last edited:
Thanks for the nice comments everyone. I have Kenny building a seat for me. Original style, just a different color scheme to match the bike. Progress is slower than I would like as I have 2 little ones and just a little time on the weekend to work one it. I hope to have the clutch brake on this weekend. Eric I'll get ahold of you. We will meet up sometime. Thanks again!

20160307_095107.jpg 20160307_095042.jpg
Bring this thread back from the dead
Put the new seat on. Now time to hook up the clutch brake and throttle :scooter:
I haven't decided whether to lose the headlight or not.

Last edited:
What a great bike. I'd be on that every nite for a quick 15 minute ride around the neighborhood. It's certainly up to you but I'd keep the headlight for a while at least. It gives it character.

Doc