70's Cat mini bike r3001 help !!

We have split rim sytle wheels on our 72 Cat mini bike.. We understand they might be somewhat difficult to split after sitting for so long.. The beads on the tires are loosened up, but we would like to know where the rims split before trying to pry anything apart ?? Does anyone have some photos available of the Cat wheel apart ?? Also, does any of the Cat mini bike owners know the size of the axles and bearing we're going to need for the hubs ?? Thanx in advance,
Newbieeeees/ Rookieeeees..

markus

Maybe this will help some, a set I redid a few years ago:

They probably wont be to bad to take apart if you were already able to break the tire loose. take the bolts out first, then the "stars" and the one half slips over the hub thats welded onto the other halve.

for the bearings, the orginals were not sealed bearings, I would recommend upgrading to these, they need to be flanged style for those hubs

markus

Oh' thank you very much.. Just what we needed.. Axles ?? Just measure length & diameter ?? :bowdown:

they are 5/8" axles, i dont know the length for that bike, I clean and reuse stuff like that if its feasable and original to the bike.

markus

Also, something to keep in mind is the "Hunt Wilde" foot peg rubbers for cat bikes are an odd size they arent usually available anymore :)shrug: been awhile since I messed with any cat bikes they may have popped back up). yours still look pretty respectable so you may want to work around them before cutting them off the peg!! might be able to blow them loose with compressed air but they are usually on there pretty good.

good luck with it :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: Thank you again for the tips.. The front axle unfortunately is toast.. :eek:hmy: It was rusted and locked up tight as a drum that hasn't been beat.. :shrug: 3 days of soaking in PB lubrication loosened it up enough to get it lose.. We didn't want to use a hammer on it so we were at the hands of the vise grips.. :eek:hmy: 3 hrs. later and it finally slid out for us..
Patience was the key at least here.. :wink: We can measure the axle tho to get the correct length we need.. Thank you again.. Now back to those stubborn wheels.. :grind:

/thumbs/Cat_rear_wheel_disassembled_003.jpg[/img][/url] Boy oh boy.. We lucky tonight and got the rear wheel hub apart safely.. :thumbsup: So 2hrs. later and alot of patience it came apart.. No hammering !! :thumbsup:

Ok, it took forever to get the front wheel assembly apart on the R3001 Cat this afternoon.. We might have to replace the valve stem half (See photo) because this is the only place where it rusted out.. Plenty of solid metal around the area, but if we use a washer and weld it in there for support ??:shrug: How would we get the new tire over this section though :confused: :confused: Any input is greatly appreciated.. The whole Cat is totally disassebled now.. So we should be able to make some sound decisions regarding the restoration process.. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I just checked my wheels, and I have one almost as bad. I have welded them before.

Obtain a brass pipe the diameter of the valve stem, shove it in and weld, remove brass and grind.