72 RV 90 garage find project

This was found in the back of a garage that I went to buy some older snowmobiles. It looked complete minus the pump, headlight and side cover, looked like newer tires? Needed a throttle/oil injector cable from what I seen at the time and a good carb clean..This was back a few months ago. Since then I cleaned it up, cleaned the carb, added the cable and with the help of a lot of guys that have these on this site, I jumped on their posts with questions and now it runs, drives and shifts great...

MikeBear

Nice! They are a lot of fun. You'll find out that the '72 model is pretty much it's own beast when you need to find parts. The '73 model was slightly changed, (but some stuff will interchange with the '72) and the '74 and highers were changed even more and are pretty much interchangeable on many parts. The seat from a '72 or '73 will NOT work on a '74 and higher for instance.

I have to get my '74 ready for sale as I found out it's too much for me with my bad back issues, and I'm just not safe on it. I'm going to stick to my minibike.

Nice! They are a lot of fun. You'll find out that the '72 model is pretty much it's own beast when you need to find parts. The '73 model was slightly changed, (but some stuff will interchange with the '72) and the '74 and highers were changed even more and are pretty much interchangeable on many parts. The seat from a '72 or '73 will NOT work on a '74 and higher for instance.

I have to get my '74 ready for sale as I found out it's too much for me with my bad back issues, and I'm just not safe on it. I'm going to stick to my minibike.
I wouldn't mind find the blue side panel to cover the oil bottle side and a better blue air cleaner but for now it will do the way it is. I have the blue headlight bucket and the inside guts with a bulb that is blown and no glass, may have to go to a 73 light. No battery yet so no way to tell if brake light works, still need the red lens brake light cover also.

Here is a few pics from today, it cleaned up pretty nice....runs like a top with just under 1 turn out and the "C" clip in the middle position on the needle jet.

Looking good. That side cover is hard to find as I am finding out. At this point I am debating about whether to take mine and the front fender to a body shop for some plastic welding. :grind:

Prior to "the crash" they were in pristine shape with just some color fading.

Now... not so much.

Looking good. That side cover is hard to find as I am finding out. At this point I am debating about whether to take mine and the front fender to a body shop for some plastic welding. :grind:

Prior to "the crash" they were in pristine shape with just some color fading.

Now... not so much.
Well, if you took it for some plastic welding, it would give you the opportunity to reshoot all the blue pieces at once and then change the whole look to the bike. I thought because i wouldn't find the blue air clean color, i would scuff that, the front and rear fender and go with fresh paint and totally differant look although original is what people look for.....May try to find a 73 light to see if the electric works, still need rear brake light lens and I guess they came with directionals that you can wire into the harness but no wiring diagram yet...

Well, if you took it for some plastic welding, it would give you the opportunity to reshoot all the blue pieces at once and then change the whole look to the bike. I thought because i wouldn't find the blue air clean color, i would scuff that, the front and rear fender and go with fresh paint and totally differant look although original is what people look for.....May try to find a 73 light to see if the electric works, still need rear brake light lens and I guess they came with directionals that you can wire into the harness but no wiring diagram yet...
You can get a 4 pack of directionals off of ebay. They will come from overseas but are relatively cheap and a matched set.

Here's the wiring diagrams. Did you download the Manual yet?

I picked up my signal lights and new ignition switch off of ebay for under $40 plus shipping
They are plastic with metal post and threaded into the original mounts
The lenses even say suzuki

My 40 year old flasher relay didnt want to work until I pried the cover off and cleaned it

Great diagram, haven't loaded the manual yet...Looks simple enough to hook up, just need to locate the wires in the pic. The battery must be awfully small to fit in that tniy little space?

Directionals, brake lights and head lights will not function without a good battery and the flasher relay, ok great...now must get one of those tiny batteries, almost ridiculously small i'm guessing, LOL

The tailight , brake and running as well as signals work off the battery
The head light and highbeam indicator only work with engine running
But as mentioned before the battery as in most small jap bikes keeps the lights from over voltaging and blowing
The batteries are fairly cheap $10 to $20 range:thumbsup:

Directionals, brake lights and head lights will not function without a good battery and the flasher relay, ok great...now must get one of those tiny batteries, almost ridiculously small i'm guessing, LOL
It's small for sure. Maybe 1/3 the size of a normal motorcycle battery.

My local Interstate battery store had one.

Don't forget you need a 6V.

MikeBear

Interesting, finding a battery for a 1972 (4ah) is my issue today [emoji6]....

Sent from my iPad using OldMiniBikes
I bought the one for my '74 off of Ebay. By the way, it's a magneto system. So, IF you replace ALL the light bulbs with 12 volt ones, you can install a 12 volt battery and you should be good to go!

Last edited:

Divouneh

I said wrong, it needs a 2AH battery: Easy to find on Ebay. At first I want to put back the 6v in duty and later upgraded in 12 if possible.
The wiring system seems to be a common issue for the RV90.

Sent from my iPad using OldMiniBikes

I'm restoring 2 of these bikes and found that "Chrysler B3 Super Blue" is just about an exact match. I got it from Finish Master in both a rattle can and a touch up vial.