76 briggs points .

I got a 76 briggs with points i want to change it over to magnatron coil do i need to remove the points an conderser set or can i leave it in there an just hook up coil an how much are points for thst motor thanks.i:shrug:

I think you can leave the points/ condenser if you don't want to pull the flywheel.

Actually, I like the points/ condenser. My one Briggs 5hp Flathead with points always starts on 1st pull. The others usually take a few pulls before they will start, if not run in awhile.

Don't know how much costs, I just cleaned my points and ran OK, so didn't have to replace. :thumbsup:

I bought a points/condenser kit from a Briggs & Stratton dealer a week or two ago for $15.

As for leaving the old points installed when switching to a magnetron coil, you can like chazdaddy said, but personally, I always take them out.

The Ace hardware store by my house has Ace branded condenser, points, and spark plug kit for $7.49. at that price I keep 1 in the tool box all the time now.

There is a ground wire(not insulated) that should be attached to the coil mount screw. The only other wire on a magnatron coil is the Kill switch wire, usually just a tab to connect the kill switch. The wire coming from you old points isn't used.