A BearKat that's a long way from home

capguncowboy

I saw this bike pop up on Craigslist locally for a song. It looks like it's all there so I called the guy up and made plans to pick it up this week. I finally got over to his place today and grabbed it. I had asked Richard Trotter for any info he could give me on Bearkat bikes, but there doesn't seem to be much out there beyond a single webpage with some very brief info.

This bike is really rough! It looks like just about everything is there, but there are a few spots that need to be welded and patched. The other problem is that the serial plate is gone :doah: It does have the original Salisbury clutch system though, and all of the linkages for the drive system are there... and some big-ass chain. I haven't measured it yet, but it's gotta be at least 3/4" pitch. Why in the heck did they use such a ginormous chain!? The front wheel is roached and the rear wheel is locked up. The forks are stuck and the entire thing is covered in rust... errr patina.

The engine has zero compression. I'm pretty certain it's going to need a full rebuild (Rings, Piston, connecting rod, valves, etc) -- I'd hate to ruin the engine just because I didn't check out the internals first. I snapped a picture of the serial plate, and some help IDing it would be much appreciated. It might also help me tie down a year on the bike, since I'm pretty sure it's original.

I really hope I can save this bike. It's such a cool design with that giant tractor wheel on the rear. I've read they're not very fast, but they'll climb a tree!

More to come!

capguncowboy

Sometimes those old motors just have a stuck valve.
I haven't had a chance to even get to the bike just yet. I've been covered up with work and chores around the house for the past week or so. I am hoping to get to it this weekend though.

I attempted to look up any info on the engine, but B&S's website is very fuzzy around these. If someone could provide any info on it at all, it would be appreciated

Last edited:
Your right, it is hard to find info on these motors. They were first rated at 5 3/4hp , then rated 6hp when the coil was updated. The old coils are out of production and will only work with the old flywheel. New coils will only work with newer style flywheels. These changes made finding parts very difficult and confusing so briggs left any information out of many parts and repair manuals. The best way to identify which coil you have is by the number of bolt that hold it to the block. The old style is held on by 4 bolts and is often called the 4 post coil. The newer is held on by 2 bolts. The only way to date the old motors with that type of ID plate was with a cross-reference chart. You can find charts for the 2hp and 3hp motors on the Antique Small Engine Collectors Club, but I have never seen a chart for the 5 3/4hp and 6hp aluminium motors. The chart for the model 14 motors on the asecc site only apply to the cast-iron motors. We have nick-named these motors the 'red headed step child'. Luckily many of the parts and specs for these are the same as the 7hp 170402 model (except the piston bore, rod and crank specs).

capguncowboy

Your right, it is hard to find info on these motors. They were first rated at 5 3/4hp , then rated 6hp when the coil was updated. The old coils are out of production and will only work with the old flywheel. New coils will only work with newer style flywheels. These changes made finding parts very difficult and confusing so briggs left any information out of many parts and repair manuals. The best way to identify which coil you have is by the number of bolt that hold it to the block. The old style is held on by 4 bolts and is often called the 4 post coil. The newer is held on by 2 bolts. The only way to date the old motors with that type of ID plate was with a cross-reference chart. You can find charts for the 2hp and 3hp motors on the Antique Small Engine Collectors Club, but I have never seen a chart for the 5 3/4hp and 6hp aluminium motors. The chart for the model 14 motors on the asecc site only apply to the cast-iron motors. We have nick-named these motors the 'red headed step child'. Luckily many of the parts and specs for these are the same as the 7hp 170402 model (except the piston bore, rod and crank specs).
Thanks for the info Richard. My plan was to pull it apart and figure out what all I needed first. I can have gaskets and other parts made, but if it needs anything specific, then the plan changes drastically. If parts are too hard to find or too expensive, I'll just resto-mod it with a clone or big-block Tec and have some fun with it.

Nice find capguncowboy. It's got some corrosion but at least it's not hacked up and missing parts. I'd like to find one here in Colorado someday.
Richard, can the early style coils be converted to the 2 bolt style if you swap the flywheel too?

Nice find capguncowboy. It's got some corrosion but at least it's not hacked up and missing parts. I'd like to find one here in Colorado someday.
Richard, can the early style coils be converted to the 2 bolt style if you swap the flywheel too?
Tim, you just stay on the western slope!!!!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

let me know, i need to sell this other chain but i havent listed it on ebay yet. I can cut you off a length or sell you the whole roll, i am sure i have whatever it is (that lot came with 50 60 70 even giant skip tooth chain...)