A friend died yesterday, likely from Texting and Driving ...

I have a CDL hazmat and drive trucks and you would not believe the stuff people do behind the wheel.
How many people have to die before something is done about this?

I don't even like to talk on the phone while driving - it's a huge distraction.

I drive a service truck all day everyday. I'm always seeing people text while driving. I roll down my window and yell at them. Most of the time it's bc they have almost side swiped me while not paying attention. They flip me off and speed off. I'm sorry I think texting and driving is worse then driving drunk. I've watched a lady almost rear end a guy bc of this. Then she went back to sending her text or whatever she was doing on her phone. My company is installing a device that disables all apps, texts and phone calls while the vehicle is in motion. I think all cars should have this kind of device installed at the factory.

Last edited:
Who are all these people talking to all day long? I don't know anyone i can just call any time of day and night and talk to them at length...
Also how important are these texts? Important enough to risk the life of everyone on the road?

To say OMG and LOL
Human beings continue to dissapoint me

I had an incident where a texting/distracted driver literally ran me onto the shoulder while I was driving my work van out on the highway, when I got back to the shop i called the police, gave the make/model of the car,driver description, license #, time of day and mile marker, there was nothing they could do, so I guess they have to kill/injur themselves or someone else before anything can be done.......................Tom.

I'm 53, I have only had a phone for 2 years and I'm still skittish about talking on it while driving .. beekeeper knows, I usually don't talk long ... and I never text, I just don't have the attention span to spare.

I have ridden motorcycles for years and my head is on a swivel, that attention to my surroundings has so far kept me alive in a car too.

Not so mini bike said
" My company is installing a device that disables all apps, texts and phone calls while the vehicle is in motion. I think all cars should have this kind of device installed at the factory"
I would vote for that.

On a side note ...
Michigan joined many other states (and Washington, D.C.) when it made texting or emailing while driving a car illegal. Michigan's law bans reading, typing, and sending text messages or emails on a cell phone, iPad, iPhone, droid, smart tablet, or a similar device while the car is moving.

Texting is illegal in 46 states but its still being done ... in car blocking devices would work but they would block the phone part from being used, and that use is currently legal.

Last edited:
I want one!! "My company is installing a device that disables all apps, texts and phone calls while the vehicle is in motion. I think all cars should have this kind of device installed at the factory." Where can these be found?

Dale

First I am sorry for the loss of a good young man. Now you guys are thinking about disabling the phone and apps backwards.... The PHONE should have the disabling app. Most phones have GPS and can tell speed and location already. The phone should go into a lock mode at any speed above 5 to 10 MPH. That would disable it under any and all circumstances. Just my thoughts. What do you guys think? And yes I see idiots texting and emailing all the time. I saw a women running 75 mph on the interstate holding the phone in her right hand and flailing her left hand around in the air as she talked. I could only assume she was driving with her knee..... It is sad that these people don't have a clue. And just think they are raising the little people that will become the big people running the country someday.

Street Smart

Terrible, my condolences. My shop is on a very busy ave. I`m outside all the time, I see so many people texting while driving its crazy. Even dumber is seeing two cop in their car and both driver and passenger looking down at their phones.

buckeye

Sorry for the loss of your friend.
In such a avoidable way.

Agree 100%, cell phones should be blocked while driving.
I have talked on the phone while driving, but, very, very seldom.

Prayers for his Family. I have been guilty of trying to make a call and got distracted but rarely if ever do I text anyway. I kissed the curb once and it cost me a lot to fix my truck, just glad I hit a curb and not a car. I do not use my phone in the car anymore unless I pull over to do so, not worth it. Sorry for your loss as well.

Sad to say but I do not feel any sorrow for the driver of the car , I feel sorry for the truck driver who was an innocent professional truck driver who has this on his driving record because of the stupidity of texting while driving .