A 'new' craigslist scam?

most of the scams are all for checks, trades, cross seas, "please take your ad down" etc. you know the drill

but last night I received an email from someone (through the craigslist email link) asking if they could have my number, and they would call. I wasn't too suspicious but right at the bottom of my ad in black and white was my number :shrug: so I figured maybe he just missed it or something.

Like twenty minutes later I got an email from a different person, this time without the craigslist 'report' button. with the usual 'trade' scam and a link to some odd website. I'm still wondering how they got my real email though :shrug:

anyone ever been in a similar situation? I'm thinking maybe they were the same person and their email provider showed my real email. so basically the 'number?' email was bait. :shrug:

Yes ...usually I get one that says ...." Very intrested ..Give me a call with some bogus number. They know you wont be able to call, so they hope you will write back, and then somehow they can hyjack your email/C.L account. I get at least 3 a day:cursing:

Neck

Growing up is optional
Yeah, when I was selling my street bike, I had posted 4 pic's with the add, and someone answered they would give me my asking price send my pay pal account# they were on a research ship and would not be back in the states for three months and wanted to buy it for their little brother, they would take care of shipping and even pick the bike up! Then they asked if I had any Pictures of the bike?! At that point I was laughing so hard, I could barely type, so I sent them this......

I got one today same set up first message went through Craigslist and I responded about the Tule Trooper I have for sale and the reply was direct back to me. I will report it to craigslist.
Steve :scooter:

yeah the second message wasnt through craigslist and it was to trade for something.. idk (i know your not supposed to do this but i was curious).. i clicked the link and it brought me to a craigslist sign in page, where i was unable to log in :shrug:

damnit if your gonna take the time and thought to scam at least use a link thats not dead end... scammers these days:hammer:

oldsledz

If someone emails you from one of your CL ads , and you send the a email back it will be from your email not CL and if they send you another email it will be from their email account not CL.

Grabbin , you will need to watch your CL account for a while they probably know your password now.

A few months ago I got a letter from a fake CL site and tried to log in, a few days latter all of my ads were changed to other things and the email link was gone from the ads, you had to call a phone number to ask about the item.

well the second email came from someone else? idk its possible it was different scammers.. sneaky little buggers..

but :doah: i figured something like that would happen... its not too much of an issue, the only thing i got up is that briggs, the rest of my stuff is expired i think.. but i guess its time for a password change :doah::laugh:

My hotmail was spaming.

Not sure who how or what but I lost the account and all the contents.
Waiting on MSN to maybe let me have it back ( contains 13 years of stuff ).

Be careful of passwords and spy ware ect.

I got all messed up.
Hobbled computuer thats clean but not working right and hijack email.

Could have been a lot worse.

SO From now on I treat everythig like a scam......

oldfatguy

mine and a few people that I know had their hotmail accounts hijacked and sending out spam. The only way you will know that it is happening is if someone tells you or you find it when you check your sent messages. There is a way to recover your account but you need a second account to have then send the info to. The best thing to do is to set up a separate e-mail to use for craigslist without a contact list and stuff.

delray

neck,
and someone answered they would give me my asking price send my pay pal account# they were on a research ship and would not be back in the states for three months and wanted to buy it for their little brother, they would take care of shipping and even pick the bike up!
my neighbor had the samething happen to him couple weeks ago..........:doah: he new it was a scam.

I always block the e-mail part and go anonymous ... I put my number in with (no text messages please) as well and never get any bogus e-mail crap ... I got tired of those bs scam ass e-mails ... If you can't call me I don't need to sell you anything :facepalm:

toomanytoys

If you look at the address of the Craigslist page that you used it was probably like.

Cragslist.com or something, that looks similar. You put your information in, then it saves your user name and password. So I'd imagine that you sir have been successfully 'phished!'