Alexander Reynolds EZ-Rider I restoration

mbones

IMG_5002.JPG IMG_5077.JPG IMG_5106.JPG IMG_5112.JPG IMG_5111.JPG I just started to restore a EZ-Rider I that was giving to my by a dear friend back in the early 70's. I'm new to this and to OldMiniBikes so I may need lots of advise. It is original except for the paint, I painted it years back. any idea as to where I can get the original paint color? there are some parts on the frame that a paint shop might be able to use to match it. here are some before pictures.

thanks for looking.

Wow!! That's only the second one I've ever seen to have the clutch and disc brake still in tact and I know where the other bike is stored lol. Are there any markings on the front wheel or hub as far as a manufacturer? That is one detail that has eluded me to this day. Also the silver engine. I have yet to see one with a silver Tec but it looks like that myth has been solved. I can help with photos of the original paint color, but I do not have the code yet. I could take thiss bike to my local auto body supply shop but they usually want a 3"x3" area to use the paint match camera. It would have to be matched old school...

Wow!! That's only the second one I've ever seen to have the clutch and disc brake still in tact and I know where the other bike is stored lol. Are there any markings on the front wheel or hub as far as a manufacturer? That is one detail that has eluded me to this day. Also the silver engine. I have yet to see one with a silver Tec but it looks like that myth has been solved. I can help with photos of the original paint color, but I do not have the code yet. I could take thiss bike to my local auto body supply shop but they usually want a 3"x3" area to use the paint match camera. It would have to be matched old school...
Ha! I knew you'd be here soon Chad! :thumbsup: As far as spectrum matching at the paint/auto parts store, it is inaccurate if there is any metallic aspect to the paint. One tiny particle of anything completely changes the formula. I've stopped using it. Best bet is to take an original part to the store and go through paint chip books for cars dated the same year or a year earlier than the bike.

The BEST thing to do is try and get rid of the re-paint with EZ Off like some of the people here talk about. I use paint stripper, but found that spray paint readily comes off of original paint, and leaves the original paint alone on the first application. Small areas at a time of course.

What a cool bike to have!

Dave, to the naked eye, the original paint is non-metallic this being why I would try it. My Dads bike has no engine right now and the engine plate in the center would be great virgin area to compare. I'd date this bike 1970 so if anyone has a color chip lead to go on, I'm interested...
Great tip on the EZ off too!!

Sent from my Texas Instruments Speak and Spell...[emoji2]

Yeah that's a keeper for sure and cool that you have hung onto it all this time. I would not "over-restore" it. I kind of like it the way it is with the old faded engine decals, worn silver paint, etc. and the frame paint looks pretty close to original and pretty nice. Survivor class bikes are much harder to come by than restored bikes. Be careful when you strip away all the old paint and patina...you don't also strip away the memories that go with it.

Just my 2 cents....great bike no matter what. Any old pictures of it "back in the day" ?

Last edited:
here is the hub cleaned up. IMG_5128.JPG Is a silver Tec engine a good thing? I know that it pulled pretty good back in the day. any ideas as to what I should do to the engine? everything looks good. standard bore should I install new rings or just reassemble?

Ebay is your best source for ads but most for sale are copies. You can look for seller Glenn Baine he is a member on here. An original ad may be tough to come by.

Here's another OldMiniBikes member Ironhorseman on his trusty EZ-Rider chopper...

Last edited:
For the record Chad, I heard about the EZ Off from Manchester. :thumbsup: I have become good friends with the guy at Napa where I get my paint, so he feels okay spending time with me going through the chip books- he knows where colors are, whereas I would have to thumb through 3 feet stacks of books.

Gerry, stop slobbering. LOL! :thumbsup:

Gerry, stop slobbering. LOL! :thumbsup:
Haha...I really like those bikes I'm not sure why I never obsessed over finding one. I had a roller years ago and sold it. That picture of Ironhorseman's bike is in my top 5 of all time. If I found that bike the way it looks in that picture I wouldn't even wash the dirt off it.

fistfullabar

KK your pics at raceway park are they recent? Yeah that sticker on the bike in the window remind of the t.v. ads for that place growing up.Never went thou.

cool picture! Speedo, head light, mirror... was the front finder original? or any of these original options?
That stuff all looks like it came off a bicycle. That front wheel setup ARCO used is kind of unique for a mini bike and would easily lend itself to those mods.

Notice that bike has a clutch brake on it where yours has the factory disc brake.

Last edited: