Any guys out there running electric mini's?

48 volt? 72 volt? I know the batteries are heavy and can be extremely expensive depending on what you're using but after seeing countless power wheels and bicycles doing 45 + on youtube it makes me wonder..And before someone yells blasphemy, I love gas/nitro/meth engines. There's just something cool about a fast electric car/dragster/etc....

joekd

My son still loves his Razor MX500 36V dirtbike

Just like this

Best money I ever spent, he would spend hours riding that thing around the yard and neighborhood and since it is silent never had a second look from even the grumpiest old people in my area

I don't wanna diss your electric bike idea but...don't. I mean it has been done, but don't you love the roar of a short piped Briggs flathead or clone? Anyway if you want some good info on it, go to: www.diygokartsforum.com Create an account nad enjoy, they have a section of the forum devoted to electric go karts and mini bikes. Good luck. :drinkup:

markus

48 volt? 72 volt? I know the batteries are heavy and can be extremely expensive depending on what you're using but after seeing countless power wheels and bicycles doing 45 + on youtube it makes me wonder..And before someone yells blasphemy, I love gas/nitro/meth engines. There's just something cool about a fast electric car/dragster/etc....
I have a factory built 1973 electric minibike. Its a tank, I guess they ran 30mph with 2 group 27 12volts weighing it down and 1970's technology! I keep threating to put it back together but then I find another bike and gets put on the back burner.

TomH

That looks a lot like a starter motor for a car. It's not though. I knew a guy that used a starter motor on a three wheeler for reverse

I have a factory built 1973 electric minibike. Its a tank, I guess they ran 30mph with 2 group 27 12volts weighing it down and 1970's technology! I keep threating to put it back together but then I find another bike and gets put on the back burner.

That's pretty cool man!

I don't wanna diss your electric bike idea but...don't. I mean it has been done, but don't you love the roar of a short piped Briggs flathead or clone? Anyway if you want some good info on it, go to: www.diygokartsforum.com Create an account nad enjoy, they have a section of the forum devoted to electric go karts and mini bikes. Good luck. :drinkup:

Thanks for the link! I do love the sound of a built engine but I like the idea of running electric as well. The problem is, to be competitive, one would have to ditch the lead acid batteries and run lipo's. Between the lipo's, a good controller and motor, the build would cost more than an all out Blockzilla.

I have heard some of the local older guys talk about minis that they mad as teenagers using a car starter and a battery and the gas was a push button that just engaged the starter. The faster you wanted to go the longer you held the button, I have herad some of them say you have to be a brave mofo to hold it longer then like 4-5 seconds because the torque is unreal and will dump you in a hurry!

toomanytoys

I have heard some of the local older guys talk about minis that they mad as teenagers using a car starter and a battery and the gas was a push button that just engaged the starter. The faster you wanted to go the longer you held the button, I have herad some of them say you have to be a brave mofo to hold it longer then like 4-5 seconds because the torque is unreal and will dump you in a hurry!
I'm surprised my dad didn't try that as a kid....

Anyways.

We use golf carts underground at the coal mine to get around.

Well we decided to built a super cart to get around faster.

800amp controller, 12.5HP motor, upgraded all the wiring, heaving duty directional switch. 22" tall tires. 6 of the 8v interstate deep cycle batteries.

We finished it outside in the shop, took it to the parking lot to do some speed tests. It would lift the front wheels off the ground 10-12 inches for about 10 feet taking off, and my GPS would show 37 before the tires become unbalanced and you couldn't hold it. I'm sure it would go faster but it got scary. We adjusted the throttle for it to hit 30mph and hold

Kinda like this guy....It kinda looks like he's just contacting the battery with the cable..haha!

home made electric gokart 24v starter motor - YouTube

toomanytoys

Looks like he is using like an 28mt starter. They put out around 5 and half horse power.

Seeing he is running 2 12 volt batteries I assume its 24v. Not sure how much run time he would get but it seems to move out quick and has enough torque to break traction

On an old Monster Garage episode they built a car and powered it with Milwaukee cordless tool batteries. Granted they used alot of batteries but it worked. Maybe with less weight it would be workable for a mini-bike. Then again there is always the mini-bike powered by a cordless drill. I see it on ebay once in a while and they had a link to u-tube to see it running around. Unfortunately it's pricey I think like 500.00 but very cool.

On an old Monster Garage episode they built a car and powered it with Milwaukee cordless tool batteries. Granted they used alot of batteries but it worked. Maybe with less weight it would be workable for a mini-bike. Then again there is always the mini-bike powered by a cordless drill. I see it on ebay once in a while and they had a link to u-tube to see it running around. Unfortunately it's pricey I think like 500.00 but very cool.
The batteries will set you back a pretty penny. This kart has (400) A123-M1 Lithium cells @ about $15 a piece($6000). Plus that zilla controller is $2675. I didn't even price the motor.... Runs a 12.3 in the 1/4.. @ 1000 amps I'd avoid water at all costs...

70000 watt electric go-kart - YouTube