Any kohler K181S guru's here?

hoppy

Alright......long story short have a 1966 Kohler K181S that I intend to rebuild and slap back in the 1966 Wheelhorse Trator it came out of. So I want o "freshen up" the engine with all new seals, gaskets, and some new standard piston rings IF all looked good inside. Well it all did so I ordered up a kohler gasket kit with seals, and a kohler set of standard rings. Fast forward one year until today........................

decided its time to get it back together. So I start laying everything it and to my suprise there is something very odd with my set of rings. What should be a solid thick upper ring is two very thin rings in this pack. The middle ring looks right. The lower.................:shrug: Doesnt look like whats on the piston now. Numbers on book and box match for standard kohler rings.
My assumption is I got dooped on the rings?:doah:

Am i missing something here? Certainly dont look like the right rings to me.

rmm727

I don't kow but lets see the Wheel Horse. I'm working on a RJ58/59 right know. Not sure which year mine is but Its gonna be a good project. Wish you luck on yours.

I did a K301 and the rings I got were like the one on my old piston. I also got a new piston, and it was also the same. I'd contact whoever I got them from to see what's up.
Wheehorses are cool.:thumbsup: I have a 1056 and a C-120

Here are a few pictures I took when it was discovered and a few days later as a "runner". I cleaned the carb and tank, slapped fuel lines and a filter on it, a new battery and she fired right up. Sweet! Have the original snowblower, plow, mower deck and trailer. Original owners manuals taboot for tractor and engine! Found those in a box somewhere else.

As found.......................

Few days later she was put to work!

I cant wait to have her back up and running. They dont make them like this anymore. Awesome tractors.

As for the pistons. Clearly I some wrong rings here. On the original piston top and middle ring are thick and there is only one in a slot. So now I need to get me some new rings. I freeking hate not being able to shop locally for this crap. Ordering online only works right 1/2 the time. Cant go after the guy that sold to me now...its been just to long for that. My bad there. I sat the box of rings in a desk for rebuild day. Well that came a year later.:facepalm:

Are you sure the "bottom" ring isn't actually for the top groove?
The thin pair, may go on either side of the oil expander, modern-type, vs the old 1pc oil ring.

The thin pair, may go on either side of the oil expander, modern-type, vs the old 1pc oil ring.
That's what it looks like. :thumbsup: That's not uncommon. I always liked the one piece,but I think the newer ones actually wipe oil better.

you may be right! it sure looks like it. I just took them out of the package this way. I didnt even notice that. Thanks!!