Anyone pick up a Coleman CT100 yet?

Daniel Coop

Coleman® Trail100 Mini Bike : Cabela's
Was curious as to wether anyone has gotten the smaller Coleman CT100 yet, and if it's dimensions were the same or similar to the old DB? Curious if the 6.5-7HP swap is just as straight forward in fitment. Looks very similar. I want one...lol. I hate to say it, but I do not like the large size CT200. Nothing mini about it. IMO

Coleman® Trail100 Mini Bike : Cabela's
Was curious as to wether anyone has gotten the smaller Coleman CT100 yet, and if it's dimensions were the same or similar to the old DB? Curious if the 6.5-7HP swap is just as straight forward in fitment. Looks very similar. I want one...lol. I hate to say it, but I do not like the large size CT200. Nothing mini about it. IMO
You're definitely right about the CT200's. I saw one at the dragstrip this past weekend. The balloon tires remind me of the old ATC Honda 3 wheelers.

I also had a trio of DoodleBug/Predator swapped guys come up and start a conversation, lol. One was just like my blue Dirt Bug, and the other 2 were yellow, with no fenders, or front plates...

I almost bought one of the CT100's, because it was only $350 brand new at WalMart. Happy I didn't at this point, since I love my swapped Doodle...

I bought two of these for my kids recently. They are very cool and resemble the mini bikes I remember seeing growing up as a kid myself. Sadly, my parents never allowed me to have one, so now I'm reliving that experience through my kiddos. There's a lot of minibikes in the market to choose from but I believe these are by far the best bang for the buck hands down, which makes modding them even more enjoyable because you don't have a lot of money tied up in them.

A couple things you should know. #1 Coleman doesn't do an adequate job of packing these and there's literally no protective covering on the frame, fenders and other hard parts. That means, aside from the use of cardboard which does protect some components, there's a good chance you may have some damaged parts when you unpack the bike. I found metal on metal contact with some of the parts only being zip tied to the frame and nothing in between to prevent rubbing of metal parts. Some hard parts like the chain guard, fenders and forks/handlebar assembly were mangled and simply need to be replaced.

#2 if you're buying from an online retailer like Amazon, Walmart.com, etc you should expect your box to arrive damaged. In my case, the handlebars had punctured the box and some parts were missing...apparently fallen out during shipping. Fed/Ex and UPS is absolutely terrible when it comes to handling these items. I saw how mine came off the truck and one of the boxes that the mini bikes came in was laying on its side on top of other smaller boxes, probably crushing them. Morons!

#3 Like all the reviews have said, you should expect damaged parts. If you get lucky and yours arrives unscathed, consider yourself lucky. That said, Coleman has good customer service and they try their best to replace any damaged parts. Be advised though, the parts may be out of stock and it could take some time for them to arrive. It's been 3 weeks and my parts are still on back order. They are coming from China and at this point there's no telling how long it might take.

Now...with all of the above factors taken in to account, I still think these mini bikes are the best deal going and if you get one that's not damaged, that's even better. The bikes are manufactured for Coleman by Hisun and assembled in McKinney, Texas. The build quality seems to be decent, but not of the higher quality you'd expect from say, a Taco mini bike. The welds on these Hisun's are acceptable, but for my liking they leave a bit to be desired. Not real clean looking, but you then again, you can't buy a completed Taco for $350 either. Most people probably wouldn't think twice about it. You get what you pay for.

The strong point about these mini bikes are in my opinion, the motor. I had never heard of Hisun beforehand and thought maybe they came with a smaller Lifan or Predator motor. Nope! Turns out Hisun manufacturers their own engines and it's a good little motor. Compared to the Lifan on the Monster Moto, the nearest competitor to the Coleman I would say I like the Hisun motor best. The placement of the choke, throttle linkage, gas shut off are easily accessible and well thought out. They also start on the first pull usually. I weigh 170 and live on 2 acres of rural hilly land. To my surprise, these little bikes can really move when I'm not trying to tackle the hills. You can only expect so much from 3HP without the benefit of a jackshaft or CVT. Given those conditions, they do very well.

One other thing to consider, there seems to be an abundance of aftermarket parts available. Plenty of people here have added jackshaft kits, CVT's, headers, larger air cleaners, and added larger jets to their carbs. I haven't seen those kits for the Monster Moto's, so it it seems like most people opt for an engine swap to a 212cc Predator motor, which is always an option on the Coleman also. TONS of aftermarket goodies for the Predator 212.

So that's the gist of it. If you're looking for the best value and are willing to deal with some hassle and inconvenience of parts arriving damaged and can make repairs yourself, I would not hesitate in buying a Coleman CT100U.

Last edited:

Daniel Coop

Thanks Tango, but I was just trying to figure out if the 6.5HP swap was as straight forward as a Doodlebug in fitment or if someone had one to compare size wise next to an original DB. My mom would never let me have one either, so this is more my hobby, that I just share with my kid...lol. 3HP just won't do it for me. I'm looking for a home for my all new Ducar Hemi 212 when it arrives. Thought it'd be cool to stick it in a brand new bike.

Yeah...I really dunno, but I'm sure somebody who has experience will come along eventually who can better answer your question.

A Predator 212 all tricked out with a CVT squeezed in to a CT100U frame would be wicked!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daniel Coop

Yeah...I really dunno, but I'm sure somebody who has experience will come along eventually who can better answer your question.

A Predator 212 all tricked out with a CVT squeezed in to a CT100U frame would be wicked!

I've got enough experience to figure it out if I only had some dimensions.
Tango, actually you can help me out... Could you give me a few measurements? I need the distance from the motor plate to the top tubes and an approximate length from steering stem to ass end. I'd appreciate it if you can.

Last edited:
Ok. I measured 13.125" H from the top of the motor mount plate to bottom of the top tubes. By ass end, I assume you meant the frame and not the fender, but I got both measurements. From the steering head (roughly on center) to the end of the frame it measures almost exactly 23" L. To the ass end, including the rear fender, it measures 34" L

Daniel Coop

So it's the same height as an old DB but sounds like it might be a little shorter. The backbone length of a DB (top tubes from steering stem to rear ) is 27". They definitely have similar measurements.

My ct100 does ok for 3hp, can hit upper 30s mph wise with basic mods, not sure how fast anyone really wants to go on a mini bike with no suspension and hardly any brakes lol

Daniel Coop

My ct100 does ok for 3hp, can hit upper 30s mph wise with basic mods, not sure how fast anyone really wants to go on a mini bike with no suspension and hardly any brakes lol
You must not have seen any of my other threads... It's never quite fast enough. Brakes are for quiters! Lol.
But in all seriousness, 3hp ain't cutting it and being almost like a DB they share the same brake, which can be easily upgraded to a bolt on hydraulic brake kit.

My Daughter will ride her new CT100u tomorrow if the weather is fair. A 212cc seems like a bolt on and go deal but it'll sit way out and you have to use the old engine's tank or do a remote round one to do the swap due to the gas cap location but I have plenty of remote tank options so I'm good. The slots are standard but the plate is tiny. I don't want to ride it stock, I'm 75# over the weight limit and I don't want to overtax a new engine although I have heard a 200# man can ride one and they go pretty good. I'm thinking about one for myself although I have her old DB now, I'll just have two monsters one little and one big one. The only thing I'm getting for her new bike is the under seat exhaust that hot rod minibikes sells for $59 with an RLV silencer, the stock muffler with that catalytic convertor or resonator thing is horrible.

Last edited: