Anyone Playing with electric conversions these days? Just built a death trap...

Just finished a building a razor dirt bike. Horrible platform compared to the standard minibikes! But the potential it pretty insane. Looking for a decent stretched big tire minibike to build another now. The instant power/TQ is ridiculous. Factory gearing on these things is setup for big TQ and 12mph. My 120v 200a swap is pushing 42mph with the factory 11/80t on a 15" tire. It literally power wheelies from a 10mph roll. Using 2 120v mower batteries I picked up for $98 (ea) on amazon's open box goods. $89 motor. An a stupid expensive motor controller for a fork lift. ($479)

It's just plain ridiculous the amount of instant power you have on tap. Cost VS performance isn't quite there... But its coming! I'd put bus lengths between the standard 6.5hp swapped mini bike form zero to 40. Totally different experience anyway, little eerie it's so quiet and quick.

Just thought I'd share. Been raining here for days non stop. I'll put up some videos after.

DB 1.jpg

How is it keeping the batteries charged? Asking for a friend
With only 2.5 AH per bat, the range is pretty bad. Being extremely hard on them (trying to stress test and overheat the motor) I was able to get 5 miles before it indicated 1 bar on the 5 bar battery LED. With the extremely high voltage though you can cruise with very little amp draw. So it *should* at least double that. Takes 40min to charge a single bat from dead. They have a forced air quick charger. Was getting batteries open box for $98 shipped. If that deal pops up again I'll grab 2 more. Which will allow twice the amps/power and get me decent range. It does have regen as well. Which can be wired up as an electric brake while charging the batteries at the same time. That's the next project.

The speed controllers also have a programmable throttle ramp. Its like they are made for drag racing!

Its plenty of battery to beat up a few predator swapped mini's at the local 300ft drag's though! ;)

Last edited:
Uses the slower nitrous Predator powered bike hooked up to a friction drive generator :)

P,S, When Tesla's run out of battery power, does the AAA truck bring a big can of Batteries?
They are usually far enough ahead of the gas guys they can pull into the local quick charge station and have a latte or two... ;)

The Tesla on the Hotrod Power Tour had to pull over and use a gas generator a time or two! :D

pomfish

With only 2.5 AH per bat, the range is pretty bad. Being extremely hard on them (trying to stress test and overheat the motor) I was able to get 5 miles before it indicated 1 bar on the 5 bar battery LED. With the extremely high voltage though you can cruise with very little amp draw. So it *should* at least double that. Takes 40min to charge a single bat from dead. They have a forced air quick charger. Was getting batteries open box for $98 shipped. If that deal pops up again I'll grab 2 more. Which will allow twice the amps/power and get me decent range. It does have regen as well. Which can be wired up as an electric brake while charging the batteries at the same time. That's the next project.

The speed controllers also have a programmable throttle ramp. Its like they are made for drag racing!

Its plenty of battery to beat up a few predator swapped mini's at the local 300ft drag's though! ;)
40 minutes is quick and reasonable!
Don't know what state you reside in but at the 2 day Oley, PA minibike get together in May they have 100 ft grass drag races.
https://www.facebook.com/perkminibike/

Would love to see an electric do battle against the gas power.
Fastest guy there has been on a modified big block Honda with I believe to be a 40 series TQ and it hauls groceries however he had stiff competition on at least one run with John on a Kohler 7 hp clone Twin Engined stretched Fantic Broncco.
John still didn't have a knobby tire installed as well, so when he can get hooked up it should be a competitive race.

With your programable throttle could be tailor made for drags on dirt.

Later,
Keith

40 minutes is quick and reasonable!
Don't know what state you reside in but at the 2 day Oley, PA minibike get together in May they have 100 ft grass drag races.
https://www.facebook.com/perkminibike/

Would love to see an electric do battle against the gas power.
Fastest guy there has been on a modified big block Honda with I believe to be a 40 series TQ and it hauls groceries however he had stiff competition on at least one run with John on a Kohler 7 hp clone Twin Engined stretched Fantic Broncco.
John still didn't have a knobby tire installed as well, so when he can get hooked up it should be a competitive race.

With your programable throttle could be tailor made for drags on dirt.

Later,
Keith
Sounds like a blast! I'm down in KS though. I don't think this would compete with your folks as is... But with a better frame/tire/bat/motor... could defiantly be made to clean house IMO. Feel like electric setups would get banned pretty quick!

We do 300 Ft races and I'll get trained by most of the "fast" gas guys up top for sure. But they all have to fight clutches off the line. So I feel I'd have the first 100ft in the bag on 90% of the guys out there.

Added a 3rd battery now. Click off 0-30 in 2.7 seconds confirmed draggy time. That is with the knobby old dirt bike tire. It puts bus lengths on most of your typical gas predator swapped mini-bikes to 30.. tops out at 45 and I get a range of around 15 miles with typical driving.

Attachments

I just picked up the same razor bike as yours, was at the dump for free. But it's in rough shape.
It was crashed hard, front wheel is junk, forks are bent. Had 3 batteries, but needs new throttle, needs a controller, charger, i just ordered a bunch of parts for it. Motor works. The battery cover/seat is missing and unavailable anywhere so i'll have to figure something out. Going to get it running for my nephew.
Maybe i can race him in my alcohol flathead drag bike! Hahahaha