anyone want to share tips tricks / how tos?

Someone needs to figure out how to get tips and tricks into a format that us users can populate with real info.
I don't think forums and threads are conducive to propagate this type of data.
Some sort of database or word document that can be edited in sections with tips would be great. Wiki-mini-tips????

But how to do it here???

We all see that the last thing people do is search for a subject or fix. Mostly just post another thread of how to??????

Even if we got some great tips here who's going to be looking in project logs????

:thumbsup: agreed
...maybe a new thread category called "TECH" . Would be real handy if there was one location with all the links listed like MMRBUNGL showed above.

Last edited:
thank you

Sorry guys; but I'm going to have to take issue with your responses to Jrzz. His suggestion to have a hints and kinks thread is an excellent one. A year or so ago I submitted a "how to" thread on making small roll spring pins. The response was "Ogy needs to get a life". That was my first and last how to post. I have more than 60 years of welding, fabricating, machining, jig making, and problem solving experience stored in this brain and I know there are a few others on this site that do too. Seems to me a smart person would be eager to learn a few hints or solutions to problems from someone who has been there and done that. The kid was serious about his thread and instead of telling him that his idea was a great one; all he got was a bunch of flip and bullshit responses. And what's the big deal about where he posted. He's talking about building and projects and how to make them easier. Seems more logical to post it here than in the blue waffle section. Ogy
thanks
jake roth

if this is not the right place to post

please tell me where i should post it so i can get alot of good ttips and tricks together so noobies like my self can learn from the older guys

I opened up this post thinking I would read some good "Tips & Tricks", but I was wrong.

I know "the search key is your friend" but I think it would be interesting to just read through a list of tips from other members.

The whole thing sounded like a good idea to me. No apology needed as far as I'm concerned. (I saw your other post).

I dont think you need to apologize for a damn thing.
(but I dont count soooo.....)

But if you really wanted to leave your mark you could spend lots of hours reading through the various forums and compile a list of all the mods, tweaks and other stuff and post it, I'm guessing it would be an instant sticky.

The wiki-link idea sounded good or maybe even a PDF file.

It really is a mountain of information that could/should be broken down into different sections.

I'm guessing just about (98%) all the information is already on this site just scattered.
(like looking for a tool in my garage-they're there just scattered)

the idea of tech tips threads is great . it would give us some place to point the new guys and say here read this . the problem i have seen many many times is i have read a thread and seen some cool little trick or something and forgot to mark it in my book marks . now when i go to find it i can find the dam thing and spend hours and hours looking for it .
like if you look mmisterbungl put up the link to my rewinding a tec recoil , he knows its there but can you find it by searching ? can you find the thread i did on rebuilding a gas tank ? how many times do we hear :crying: how do i fix this leaking tank :crying: if you look a my thread there is tricks that can be used on any tank . http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/project-logs/26650-garden-sprinkler-gas-tank-again.html
if we maybe had it so we could write the thread and when its done it could be copied and moved to the tech sector and edited and locked . so all it has is the tip and tricks , making it a short sweet and easy here ya go .
maybe we could have a sector for flat head briggs ,ohv briggs ,flat tecs and ovh ones too , and a clone sector . and say a cross over chart , in like hey a tec seal is the same as a briggs model 12 and the rings from a blaw fit too .

hey ogygopsis where is your roll pin thread tip ? i can not find it would be a good tip for here

I like the old trick of feeding cotton cord into the cylinder through the spark plug hole to lock up the motor to remove the crankshaft nut. The piston compresses the cotton cord and stops solid, allowing you to remove the flywheel nut without damaging the flywheel by jamming a screwdriver or something in the cooling fins. Remember to pull leave the end of the cord sticking out of the sparkplug hole so you can pull it back out.:thumbsup:

DZLBIKE ya got me on that one :doah: forgot all about that trick . i never seen anyone here talk about that trick till i posted it up . man did i get some flack on that idea , but it works and its cheap .

TeamCheap writing it is easy its getting it printed that going to be hard ...... and spendy

....Not that I don't enjoy the usually good natured banter, comments, wise cracks, etc...but it would best serve all if the "tech" and "how to" posts were just that...not a lot of bs or arguing or going off on tangents....makes them hard to read through at a later date. Sometimes these tech tips pop up in the middle of a thread and they are hard to find later because the original thread title isn't specific and you can't edit the titles to catalog them. I like the idea of getting the information documented and then locking the thread to keep it clean and simple. If a correction or ammendment needs to be made later it will be done by or with the permission of a moderator...ha! more work for the mods they will love that:rolleyes:

It really would be cool to have a mini tech "bible" to reference. Maybe seperate catagories for Engine, Clutches,TAVs, Wheels, Painting Welding, etc along with a search function.....lot of possibilites to build on. Need the computer or website gurus to figure out what would be the best format and easiest way to catalog them all.......

KustomKartKid i agree the comments, wise cracks, etc make for some fun but makes it hard to find info .
hey mods is it possible for a poster to have a thread locked so that only they can post in it ? at any time they want or do you have to lock and unlock it ? my thinking is if some one want to build a tech thread and only one person can post in it they can build the data base with out extra junk in it .
like say i make another account and all it has is tech threads and links to info in the forms could it be set that only i can post on my thread . my thinking is you could look up my tech name on here and find all the info under one name . then we could have anyone who wants to be part of the group of tech writers let the others know and we could maybe link them it in signatures tying all of the info .

ok tech tip when putting your clutch on a motor put some anti seize
http://www.permatex.com/products/au...ubricants/Permatex_Anti-Seize_Lubricant_a.htm on the crank shaft or some heavy bearing grease (anti seize is better last longer ). it will make removing the clutch much easier when you have to remove it years latter . also works wonders on axle shafts keeps them from rusting solid in the bearings . the sliver (graphite based ) works best on bolts and shafts , the copper based stuff makes spark plugs a breeze to get out .
it is kinda expensive but you dont need much and a can will last a long long time . i have a 8oz i think it is , can and its over 10 years old and i use it alot the time it saves messing with stuck bolts and plugs (copper stuff ) makes the money for it worth it .

the idea of tech tips threads is great . it would give us some place to point the new guys and say here read this . the problem i have seen many many times is i have read a thread and seen some cool little trick or something and forgot to mark it in my book marks . now when i go to find it i can find the dam thing and spend hours and hours looking for it .
like if you look mmisterbungl put up the link to my rewinding a tec recoil , he knows its there but can you find it by searching ? can you find the thread i did on rebuilding a gas tank ? how many times do we hear :crying: how do i fix this leaking tank :crying: if you look a my thread there is tricks that can be used on any tank . http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/project-logs/26650-garden-sprinkler-gas-tank-again.html
if we maybe had it so we could write the thread and when its done it could be copied and moved to the tech sector and edited and locked . so all it has is the tip and tricks , making it a short sweet and easy here ya go .
maybe we could have a sector for flat head briggs ,ohv briggs ,flat tecs and ovh ones too , and a clone sector . and say a cross over chart , in like hey a tec seal is the same as a briggs model 12 and the rings from a blaw fit too .

hey ogygopsis where is your roll pin thread tip ? i can not find it would be a good tip for here
Metal Man, If you look at my threads started by Ogy there's one call "nifty little gadget". If I were more computer savvy I could include a link to it but I'm afraid that I don't know how to do that. Looking over my threads I realized that I did do more than one "how to" post. Thanks for asking. Ogy

Metal Man, If you look at my threads started by Ogy there's one call "nifty little gadget". If I were more computer savvy I could include a link to it but I'm afraid that I don't know how to do that. Looking over my threads I realized that I did do more than one "how to" post. Thanks for asking. Ogy
sheesh, I looked all over your threads last night when I saw your post for the rollpin you were talking about, never even looked at that one.

http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/project-logs/3910-nifty-little-gadget.html

Maybe there should be a contest sort like an easter egg hunt where the OldMiniBikes member that finds the most tips, tricks, tweaks....ETC by such a date wins a special OldMiniBikes hat, shirt or sticker or something like that.

But it cant be in the form of just links to the threads, each tip, trick, tweak...ETC has to be just that with out all the extra thread bagage.

This could bring most everything up front into one place making it much easier to organize into one complete tech file.

ogygopsis sweet idea man :thumbsup: that was back before i joined no wonder i could not remember anything on it .:doah:
and to put links to other pages if you go to the address bar at the top of the page . the http:www bla bla thing , click on it and it will turn blue as you have highlighted it , click the other mouse button and it will have cut copy paste click on copy . go to your post and hit the mouse button(the one that brought up the cut copy paste menu ) and go to paste . and it should leave a link to the other page .
one of your post i have read many many times and like alot is this one http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/project-logs/14157-hell-ill-plate-my-own.html
some good info in there . very good info a+ compared to several online articles i have read
on do it your self plating with stuff you could find in a dumpster or build for cheap .

Strigoi thanks for the info . it was a thought :shrug:

TeamCheap neat idea but how do we keep it all straight ? just cut a paste the tip and post that ? but how do we keep everyone else from doing the same thing we just did . ie 15 posts on a plug weld on a frame .

ok another tech tip , hell it is a tech thread after all . Dielectric grease http://www.permatex.com/products/au...e/auto_Permatex_Dielectric_Tune-Up_Grease.htm
is some thing to use in the connectors on your bike if you do alot of mudding and wet riding . will keep the water and crap out of the contacts stopping corrosion . also if you have a battery it will help the terminals from going bad .put some in the light sockets and it will help big time to prevent a stuck light bulb , or rusted socket . also put some in the spark plug boot and it will help keep water out and keep the boot from sticking to the plug .

This one's not mine but I saved it because I thought it was pretty damn clever:

My son needed to drill a hole in his motorcycle faring to mount a crash peg, but couldn't see the bolt hole because it was under the faring. He bought a cheapo laser pointer at the 99 cent store. He mounted it to a stand pointing at the bolt hole with the faring off. Then he mounted the faring without moving the bike or laser stand and the red dot pointed the exact spot to drill. Nailed it first time.

No, its just whoever finds the most tips, tricks whatever in a certain amount of time ...say two or three weeks.
In an easter egg hunt everybody is finding eggs but the one with the most wins.

Then after all the nuggets of knowledge have been found on this site they would have to be placed in one large organized tech file.

An easter egg hunt would just be a fun easy means to have lots of people search the site to find the info quickly.

I'd think the original poster of any tech tips needs to be mentioned in any tech thread they made for credit and consultation reasons.