Are Doodlebug frames the same?

rmm727

I seem to remember seeing a post from ctmini (screen name close to that) who makes an engine plate like promod. It said something like the first ones had both engine mounting patterns cut into the engine plate.

I have a red and a green and they were identical, before mods. Same bad welds, same uneven bends, same underpowered motors, yeah, identical.

Arthur,
Just curious, is there any particular REASON for your question? Maybe we can help you better...
Michael
I'm looking for one, preferably a roller, to put my 5HP Tecumseh motor on. And I wanted to know if certain models had subtle differences / were better quality than others.

Thanks for asking.

:thumbsup:

I'm looking for one, preferably a roller, to put my 5HP Tecumseh motor on. And I wanted to know if certain models had subtle differences / were better quality than others.

Thanks for asking.

:thumbsup:
O.K. - understood. Any of those "old style" DB's in the photos posted above will work great- look for a good used one. They are preferable to the "new style" DB that is currently sold.
Michaekl

O.K. - understood. Any of those "old style" DB's in the photos posted above will work great- look for a good used one. They are preferable to the "new style" DB that is currently sold.
Michaekl
Good info, thanks.

I've had the bug for a 'bug for a few weeks now. Just waiting for a good one to pop up on CL in my area.

Getting anxious, just have to wait. It'll happen.

Ironically, this weekend I found out that a good friend of mine gave away 2 DB30's a few months ago because his kids had outgrown them.

:facepalm:

Hent

I seem to remember seeing a post from ctmini (screen name close to that) who makes an engine plate like promod. It said something like the first ones had both engine mounting patterns cut into the engine plate.
I spoke with the guy who designed the doodle bug (he's posted here before), and I asked him why they didn't put both slots, he said they did - first i've heard of someone else mentioning it.

Also he said that things like bearings and crankshafts were to be standard, not metric? :shrug:

rmm727

The DB30 I have appeared to have extra slots added by the original owner but after cleaning up the frame, some of those slots were from the factory. There was still paint in the slots.:shrug: