Are Predator 212cc Db30's not balanced correctly?

GustoGuy

Well I haven't had any problems myself. Everyone else who rides my bike seems to lose control and wipes out. When accelerating hard you need to set forward on the seat or it likes to pop a wheelie on the unsuspecting victim.:shrug:. When I was in my late teens and early 20's I would ride motorcross motorcycles. My brother owned a 1993 CR 250 that you needed to sit forward on the seat if you were going to rail on it or you would be looking at the sky. My step daughters boyfreind rode the bike yesterday and I told him to sit forward on the seat when accelerating because it could wheelie on you. Well he ends up not doing as I say and wheelies it over. Has any one added weight to the front of their cloned Db30's to reduce the tendacy to pick up the front when you acelerate hard.

Fab up some wheelie bars.

It's the nature of the beast. I run a jackshaft and played with the gearing to suit me. Everybody has gotten scared, but it hasn't claimed a victim yet

GustoGuy

I've seen some people stretch their frame 4 inches or so. Since the unsuspecting victim tend to weigh a lot more than the bike would adding a heavy weight like a 25 pound chunk of plate steel under the engine mounting plate in towards the front wheel reduce the tendency of it to pop a wheelie? I'm interested in adding a GTC Tc2 Which tends to add an additional 10 miles per hour To the top speed of the bike. Or should you put a shorty seat on it mount it closer to the front of the bike then the currency it already is?

Last edited:
Co-worker and I modded 2 DB-30's in a spare office at work on our lunch breaks over 3 weeks or so. The day after we finish them, the boss' friend comes over. Boss says, hey these things are awesome, here's how you start it, twist this to go, pull that to stop, follow me.

Boss takes off around a corner and hears a god-aweful noise behind him. His friend had goosed it and ended up on his back, bending the rear fender to crap and scratching a brand new paint job.

The next day, i was in the office (i wasn't there for the wreck). The friend comes by on crutches to pay for the damage. Turns out he tore his ACL when he hit the asphalt.

My motovox came with a 72 tooth sprocket. I have a hf 212 and 12 tooth clutch. Its easy to wheelie, I just take it slow on te take off. You'll be fine just take your time.

I always thought wheelies were the fun part. I actually got thrown off my db last year riding some trails. I came into a rutted corner and full throttled it through the turn, the bike just threw me off. Totaled my rear fender, but oh well. :shrug:

GustoGuy

Co-worker and I modded 2 DB-30's in a spare office at work on our lunch breaks over 3 weeks or so. The day after we finish them, the boss' friend comes over. Boss says, hey these things are awesome, here's how you start it, twist this to go, pull that to stop, follow me.

Boss takes off around a corner and hears a god-awful noise behind him. His friend had goosed it and ended up on his back, bending the rear fender to crap and scratching a brand new paint job.

The next day, i was in the office (i wasn't there for the wreck). The friend comes by on crutches to pay for the damage. Turns out he tore his ACL when he hit the asphalt.
Holy Cow. I may have to have the person sign a personal injury disclaimer waiver before letting them drive it or they could sue you.:scared: Boy that sure sucks for the guy who needed to under go knee surgery because of the wipe out. I am looking for a good solution to significantly reduce the tendency for the bike to wheelie. I was thinking that adding a small amount of weight to the front end right under the front fender (5lbs) and adding a much heavier weight under the engine mounting plate down low should help to minimize the tendency for it to pop a wheelie. The problem also is DB30 have a relatively short wheel base and that doesn't help either and the rider usually is heavier than the machine and sits up higher creating a relatively high center of gravity. Placing a relatively heavy weight (25lbs) low under the engine mounting plate towards the front of the bike should lower the center of gravity and shift the center of gravity forward significantly reducing the tendency to wheelie. Has anyone done this? Of course if the person gooses the throttle without leaning/shifting forward or even worse leaning backwards on the seat it may still wheelie even with the added features although it should be reduced a bit from what a standard non balanced DB30 with a Predator engine would do. The trick is to find out where the center of gravity is with a rider and to lower it and move it forward by placing weight on the Db30 frame in order to reduce an accidental wheelie and possible wipeout.

Last edited:
Ok...heres a better explanation since you dont wanna seem to listen. Adding weight to the front is like pissing in the wind and hoping not to get it on yourself. You would have to add 50 or more pounds to the front to make a dramatic difference. So again..changing the gearing is the simplest solution. Or restrict the throttle. And you would have to stretch the frame a foot or more and move the seat forward still to achieve it that way.

TomH

Well I haven't had any problems myself. Everyone else who rides my bike seems to lose control and wipes out. When accelerating hard you need to set forward on the seat or it likes to pop a wheelie on the unsuspecting victim.:shrug:. When I was in my late teens and early 20's I would ride motorcross motorcycles. My brother owned a 1993 CR 250 that you needed to sit forward on the seat if you were going to rail on it or you would be looking at the sky. My step daughters boyfreind rode the bike yesterday and I told him to sit forward on the seat when accelerating because it could wheelie on you. Well he ends up not doing as I say and wheelies it over. Has any one added weight to the front of their cloned Db30's to reduce the tendacy to pick up the front when you acelerate hard.
Whew, I would replace the motor with the original motor, and make all your perspective riders watch this training video before they are permitted to ride.
The training portion of this video starts at the 2.25 min mark.

Mac's Swapmeet Treasures 4-25-2013 - YouTube