Astro wheels sprocket options?

My little Cestad/Monkey ward has the aluminum Astro wheels, which are a 5 star with 5 lugs..

I ordered a blank 60 tooth sprocket and attempted to drill it, but it's egg'd(?) and slops out//tightens the chain depending on where it is in its rotation. The 72 tooth sprocket that was on it when I got it was worse so I at least improved it some lol.. I am not sure what my bike was supposed to have, it's got the leather strap brake on the rear wheel as well adding to my confusion.. If I had to, I could move the brake up to the clutch, but I plan on going to a TAV down the road, which would leave me brake-less in that case..

My question is though, are there any adapters or hubs that work to adapt to a 4 hole sprocket? My searches have been fruitless so far, but something must exist, AZ usa sells the wheels still..

Thanks.. I wonder what I would need to do to make provisions to fit a drum then.. This frame had to have had a band brake as its in original paint with no obvious signs of modification..

Or as you said, flip it and use long spacers, wonder if the outside needs machined even, or if its good enough to just run a band on..

Last edited:
Don't buy those stamped sprocket drums , they suck !! Old School minibikes sells a sprocket that is drilled for the Astros , flat steel with hurricane holes , you'll have to make spacers though , it's easily accomplished using 5/16 threaded rod couplings !!
This is an example for you !!

Yep , Kenny I have used the drum sprockets and they will work but they are so far out of turning true , ya gotta really work them straight with a mallet , The flat steel sprocket is great IMO !

Watch out when using wheels, sprockets, and brake drums from Azusa Engineering! Our experiences are that many (most?) of them do not run true and you end up having to shim things to get them to perform adequately.
Michael