Awesome surprise when I got home from work today

Had a missed Ring notification and there were several people milling around outside my house. I saw one write a note and leave it on my front door. I was very curious as to what it was about.

As I was pulling up to my house, I noticed my wife's Dakota was at an angle. Some lady plowed into it and did some major damage. The rear end is no longer square and I even found a piece of the leaf spring on the ground. Luckily she left a note with her real info so I'll be covered. Already filed a claim with my insurance and talked with her insurance. I'm 99% sure the truck is going to be totaled. Aside from the suspension damage, the whole left side is fucked. They also got the rear bumper which was a custom made piece.

It really sucks because my wife passed away 6 weeks ago and her parents told me I couldn't sell the truck. They wanted to hang onto it so her niece could have it once she can drive (few years away). I originally wanted to sell it to free up some money to pay off some debt, but was fine with keeping it for her niece. I already have a diesel 3/4 ton Chevy truck, so I don't really need a small truck like that.

I'm really hoping it totals out. The driver's side leaf spring has a nice bend in it now. Vehicles don't drive the same after getting serious damage like that.

I just grabbed the one pic because it started dumping rain and didn't let up until it was dark out.

When it rains, it pours. Life has been tough lately with everything I have going on.

edit: It just missed getting pushed into my neighbor's car that's in front of it. There's maybe a foot between them. They also missed hitting my Chevy truck that was parked on the other side of the driveway maybe 15' behind it. I don't know what happened that caused them to hit it.

Attachments

Last edited:

Triley41395

Had a missed Ring notification and there were several people milling around outside my house. I saw one write a note and leave it on my front door. I was very curious as to what it was about.

As I was pulling up to my house, I noticed my wife's Dakota was at an angle. Some lady plowed into it and did some major damage. The rear end is no longer square and I even found a piece of the leaf spring on the ground. Luckily she left a note with her real info so I'll be covered. Already filed a claim with my insurance and talked with her insurance. I'm 99% sure the truck is going to be totaled. Aside from the suspension damage, the whole left side is fucked. They also got the rear bumper which was a custom made piece.

It really sucks because my wife passed away 6 weeks ago and her parents told me I couldn't sell the truck. They wanted to hang onto it so her niece could have it once she can drive (few years away). I originally wanted to sell it to free up some money to pay off some debt, but was fine with keeping it for her niece. I already have a diesel 3/4 ton Chevy truck, so I don't really need a small truck like that.

I'm really hoping it totals out. The driver's side leaf spring has a nice bend in it now. Vehicles don't drive the same after getting serious damage like that.

I just grabbed the one pic because it started dumping rain and didn't let up until it was dark out.

When it rains, it pours. Life has been tough lately with everything I have going on.

edit: It just missed getting pushed into my neighbor's car that's in front of it. There's maybe a foot between them. They also missed hitting my Chevy truck that was parked on the other side of the driveway maybe 15' behind it. I don't know what happened that caused them to hit it.
That really sucks, it looks like it was in great condition before the accident. With the cost of trucks these days they might just fix it, you never know. You're right though, when it rains it pours.
You take care,
Lee

If the frame didn't bend of break, they might fix it.
No cost to you, and the young lady will have a truck in new condition when she's ready.
Or it can be sold at a premium price.
What is the speed limit on your street? That was a hard smack.

Damn dude, that sucks.
I had a similar thing happen to my brand new truck when I lived in the city, only it was a hit and run so I was on the hook. Parked in the street like yours. The damage was similar but they fixed it, truck was less than a year old. They replaced the bed side and the broken rear spring and repaired the dents in the body. To make a long story short, truck never drove the same and had terrible vibrations at all speeds. Sorry to say, but that truck is totaled, even if they "fix" it it'll never drive the same again. At least you got her insurance info.

If the frame didn't bend of break, they might fix it.
No cost to you, and the young lady will have a truck in new condition when she's ready.
Or it can be sold at a premium price.
What is the speed limit on your street? That was a hard smack.
The speed limit is 25mph. There is also a stop sign 2 houses before mine. It looks like she hit it going a lot faster than 25ish, but she would have had to really get on it. She might have been doing 25-30 and hit it just right.

Then again, I did watch someone flip a small SUV in front of my work years ago doing about 5mph. They hit the median just right when making a u-turn and over they went.

Damn dude, that sucks.
I had a similar thing happen to my brand new truck when I lived in the city, only it was a hit and run so I was on the hook. Parked in the street like yours. The damage was similar but they fixed it, truck was less than a year old. They replaced the bed side and the broken rear spring and repaired the dents in the body. To make a long story short, truck never drove the same and had terrible vibrations at all speeds. Sorry to say, but that truck is totaled, even if they "fix" it it'll never drive the same again. At least you got her insurance info.
I 100% hope they total it. Like you said, it won't be right again after that kind of damage.

That's a bummer the lady was probably wasted and lucky to get out of there without a police report.
Doubt it. She left all her info and didn't seem like she was drunk from what I could see from our cameras. I'm guessing she was distracted.

I called the police before calling her or her insurance. They said since she provided her info they would not come out to file a report. I was told if the info she gave was false, then they'd send an officer out to make a hit and run report. It doesn't matter though. I've talked to her insurance and so far they've been great to deal with. I'll be getting the truck towed to a shop early next week. My only worry now is getting a reasonable pay out on the truck if it is totaled. KBB shows it being worth barely over $2,000 when in reality it's an $8,000-$10,000+ truck all day where I live.

I hate dealing with tow companies. It shouldn't be such a pain in the ass to get a vehicle towed.

They showed up unannounced while I was at work yesterday. We rescheduled for this morning (between 8-10am) and they did a no show. I talked to the insurance people and they said they were going to switch to a different tow company and it would get picked up tomorrow morning. I'm on my way in to work since I sat around the house for 2 hours this morning waiting on them. I pull up to work and get a call from the original tow company that they were there to get the truck (this was at almost 11:15, over an hour late). Told them sorry, but I was at work and it had been rescheduled with a different tow company. I'm on my way home from work this afternoon and someone keeps calling my phone. It was non-stop and pissing me off so I finally answered. It was the new tow company saying the tow truck was at my house to pick up the truck. Once again, the tow company showed up unannounced, but luckily I was less than 10 minutes away so the guy waited for me. Then he bitched that my neighbor's car was parked in front of the truck so he couldn't put it on front end first. They were at work so the car wasn't getting moved. I was going to let her know it was getting towed in the morning and was going to ask if she could move the car. Show up unannounced and shit like that happens. There was plenty of room behind the truck for him to get it, which he ultimately did.

I'm just glad this part is over and the truck is at the shop now.

Attachments

The body shop called today. It's going to be a bit over $7,600 to fix it. Sounds like it will probably end up being a total loss and I should hopefully know sometime next week.

Got a letter from insurance today. They're giving me $7,9xx for it. $8,000 was my low number so I'm taking it. Got too much other shit going on right now to try and get a little bit extra out of them. I fully expected them to hit me with a much lower number.

One less thing to worry about now.

Last edited: