Axel

Can a bolt axle be used in place of a double threaded mini bike axle? I have the wards 525 mini. I had to cut the old axle off because it was so rusted.

well the advantage to a double threaded bolt is you can tighten down both sides with a nut on either side of your fork legs. Which is nice because its easier on your forks and you can adjust things easier. With a bolt you can only do that on one side. Which you should do rather than just a bolt and one nut. If you just use one nut on the bolt and tighten it down you put excessive side load on your bearings and wheel bearings usually arnt designed for that. Also if your fork has springs built in you dont want to be pulling them in because itll be harder for them to work. And if your fork holes arnt a tight fit on the axle itll be floping around. So when you set up your wheel you want to make sure and space it right and not be squeezing the forks together. Its like on a bicycle wheel. If you use a bolt with two nuts, one on either side of the fork leg itll combat some of those issues. Got it :thumbsup:

125ccCrazy

well the advantage to a double threaded bolt is you can tighten down both sides with a nut on either side of your fork legs. Which is nice because its easier on your forks and you can adjust things easier. With a bolt you can only do that on one side. Which you should do rather than just a bolt and one nut. If you just use one nut on the bolt and tighten it down you put excessive side load on your bearings and wheel bearings usually arnt designed for that. Also if your fork has springs built in you dont want to be pulling them in because itll be harder for them to work. And if your fork holes arnt a tight fit on the axle itll be floping around. So when you set up your wheel you want to make sure and space it right and not be squeezing the forks together. Its like on a bicycle wheel. If you use a bolt with two nuts, one on either side of the fork leg itll combat some of those issues. Got it :thumbsup:
With mine I have a spacer between the bearings to equal out the load and I also make my axle spacers tight between the wheel and forks and wheel and frame so I'm not pulling the one fork leg or frame rail in more than the other... Thats agood point though, if the spacers are loose fitting with no center spacer between the bearings...:thumbsup: I like the looks of a nut on either side more than a bolt head but without a source to thread 5/8 shaft I'm stuck with bolts....Now I have taken two bolts, cut the heads off, cut each to length, grind the ends down on and angle so when the two are butted together they form a V, I then clamped each one in a piece of angle iron with maybe 1/8" gap bewteen them and then welded both pieces together then turned the weld down on my vertical belt sander so I have threads on both ends and also the length I needed for a wider frame..

125 thats exactly what im going to do on the new bike im building :smile:
Johnnyboy yes its the same deal on the rear end unless you have a slotted mount for adjusting the chain tension. If you do you will need threads on both ends to get it tight enough

Personally...a liked having the bolt just because of the ease of tightening but i learned the hard way that you need a spacer on the inside of the wheel between the bearings( crushed the bearings in and they all fell out riding on my axle :doah:)