AZUSA Mini Project

Thanks Yellow Hand.... I think the fork looks pretty good too.... It's the pivot links that are causing all the slop..... I have a new design that I'm working on that should help make things a little more rigid..... I'll add pictures as I start working on it...

And thanks for the heads up Engine Lover...can you tell me how to set the carburetor where the governor linkage hooks up? I've tried messing with that and the engine speed varies pretty good with just a turn of the set screw... I mean once I remove the gov, I'll have to do something with that control or the motor won't run right, will it? I'll up load a pic of what I'm talking about.....

Thanks Yellow Hand.... I think the fork looks pretty good too.... It's the pivot links that are causing all the slop..... I have a new design that I'm working on that should help make things a little more rigid..... I'll add pictures as I start working on it...
I'm looking forward to seeing the new design...I'm redesigning mine also...triangular shaped instead of inline, to reduce the overall length of the rocker and correct some trail issues in my original designs.

The governer is fairly easy to remove, just pull your clutch, and unbolt/take off the side cover to the engine and pull out the white gear part, then pull the clip out of the end of the governor tube on the outside and take a pair of vise grips and remove it. You may have to twist it back and worth tell it come out. If you need help just say so, I would be more than happy to go grab a 5hp off my shelf and make a video of doing it.
A 5hp is fine without a governor but it should have gone more than 20mph even governed. Sounds like a gearing issue or you're not getting full throttle, what size sprocket are you running tooth count wise? I had the exact engine in a Doodlebug and it would do 35-40 with a 12/66 ratio. Those big wheels/tires should allow for more top speed given the gearing is right.:thumbsup:

See, that's what I thought... I was kinda expecting at least 25 or 30...... but, I can't seem to even come close..... the front sprocket is a 12T and the rear is a 72T..... and to be honest, this things dead slow from a stand still..... if I give it a couple of helping kicks it'll go but, if not then you'd better not be facing up hill because u ain't going n e where if u r.....lol......:laugh:

Street Smart

with a 12T and 72 rear it should have good take off, but maybe top out a bit early. :shrug:
6:1 ratio is pretty average, then again you do have a tall tire

What's the formula for calculating the ratio? It's got a 12t front 72t rear and a 15 inch tire. How can I get the ratio using these numbers?

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to seeing the new design...I'm redesigning mine also...triangular shaped instead of inline, to reduce the overall length of the rocker and correct some trail issues in my original designs.
My new design is still inline but, I'm going to make them both from one piece of 3/16" thick flat bar. The cool part is that it'll wrap around the circumference of the tire. With that I'm hoping it'll better isolate the front wheel and keep it from wanting to wonder all over the place. :thumbsup:

And thanks for the heads up Engine Lover...can you tell me how to set the carburetor where the governor linkage hooks up? I've tried messing with that and the engine speed varies pretty good with just a turn of the set screw... I mean once I remove the gov, I'll have to do something with that control or the motor won't run right, will it? I'll up load a pic of what I'm talking about.....
I'm not too sure how to set up the carbs right(I always make my own design for a throttle). Sorry bout that.

Okay so, I'll just leave the governor alone for now. How about switching the rear sprocket for a 60T.... That'll give me 5 or 10 mph on the top end.... Hopefully, lol....:scooter:

That ratio is fine, You need to find out what is wrong with your engine.
The engine pulls strong all the way up to 20 mph and then the governor kicks in. I can feel the engine surging when it gets there. Do you think I oughta re-calibrate the gov? Maybe its set to a lower rpm than it should be?....

Last edited:

125ccCrazy

ditch the govenor and you'll be fine...you will have to run the engine really hard before you worry about throwing a rod considering the engine is in good mechanical shape and not loose..The flathead Briggs are tough engines...with stock cam and valve springs you won't over rev it under a load...

ditch the govenor and you'll be fine...you will have to run the engine really hard before you worry about throwing a rod considering the engine is in good mechanical shape and not loose..The flathead Briggs are tough engines...with stock cam and valve springs you won't over rev it under a load...
And I've seriously considered doing just that but, what do I do about the valve plate in the carburetor that the governor linkage is attached to? Will it just open and shut with the throttle or does it operate on its own? I haven't had any luck in adjusting the gov thus far.

Woo Hoo :laugh:, I got it fixed!!! and this thing scoots good!! So far I only got it up to 25 or 26 mph but, it gets there sooo much faster.... You actually haft to hold on with 2 hands, lol... This is great!!:scooter:

Don't know if you are still thinking about front suspension on this bike or not. Here is what I did on mine. Regardles of the style, pretty much you need to be in this range of TRAIL Bike looks great by the way. Where abouts in Florida?