Backyard mechanic, new to minibikes!

Sorry everyone
I posted this in the main Off Topic Forum first....

Hiya Folks!
Quick introduction here...
My (almost) 14 year old son asked me if we could "build a minibike", like his cousin. I thought about it, thought really hard, and said we could do it, HOWEVER, HE was going to do all the work. He's always helped me out around my mechanical addictions ("helped me" supercharge a BMW M5, add methanol, headers, clutch, exhaust etc), but I figured it would be great for him to tear down and build up a simple 4 stroke engine.

He's a very responsible kid, a rule follower, and grown up around a lot of dangerous stuff (fast cars, guns....lots of mechanical stuff that can get you into trouble quickly)

We bought an Azusa minibike kit, and a new HF Predator 212cc......then my addiction kicked in, along with my obsession to details and ability to lose myself in a project. There is simply too much good info and experience on the internet (places like this!) to just build a stock kit. I know I have just enough tools, mechanical ability, financial resources and curiosity to get into trouble.

We have the engine apart, and all the parts. Here is my planned project....

Remove Governer (done)
Remove Oil Sensor (done)
Add 14cc Hi Compression head (done)
Porting and polishing (he's working on this himself. I know a LITTLE, but never done a small engine..might be worse..his project!)
Arc Billeted Flywheel
Arc Billeted Rod (done)
Mod 2 Camshaft
Stock valves with 22lb springs (lapped)
Header
Bored Honda .650 carb
K&N Filter with adaptor
Chain guard
GTC 30 TAV (i know we are exceeding HP recs...son weighs 140) Also have clutch if necessary

The build, for me, is always the fun part.
I had a boyhood full of 125 two stroke motorcycles, but never done a minibike before

Is this WAY too much for a "have fun" minibike???? I hope I haven't gotten carried away....seriously

Thanks and

Cheers

Brian

14 year old getting his hands dirty? Good job! Sounds like you guys have a little beast in the works. You are going down the same road i was planning on...azusa kit with a 212 predator. Looking forward to seeing some pics.

14 year old getting his hands dirty? Good job! Sounds like you guys have a little beast in the works. You are going down the same road i was planning on...azusa kit with a 212 predator. Looking forward to seeing some pics.
Thanks! Hes a great shop companion. Much rather having him building things and studying his schoolwork, than playing video games all day long.

Ill start a build thread on the build forum so you can see what it looks like.

He's now

Painted and clear coated
Ported and polished head
Checked clearance on new billeted rod
Lapped new stainless steel valves

Its a long slow project between his swimming "he's a distance swimmer" and schoolwork.
Great father son time!

Cheers
Brian