Backyard Ponds

All those ponds look awesome, How many of you keep aquariums? :thumbsup:
We have (2) 50's and (1) 30gal freshwater. Nothing special, no exotics but the small catfish are constantly polluting the tanks. Kids won't help clean them and maintaining 3 tanks is a chore- which is why they are going outside, :laugh:

I used to keep them in college, but I am past that. I am planing on bringing the pond fish in to the basement greenhouse this winter and set up an aquaponics system.
That'll be another tread, if it works :laugh:

The last house we lived in had a very small (4 x 8?) cement pond in the back yard. We lived there for a long time. Every few years I'd go to the pet store and get sack of tiny feeder goldfish to throw into it. The neighborhood raccoons would use it like a salad bar. But it had a shady spot and a deep hole so the fishes at least had a fighting chance. The strongest and smartest and luckiest would survive and after awhile we had some that were 3" long.

Years ago my roommate and I decided to redo the pond in the back yard of the place we were renting. It hadn't been used in years and was a complete mess (no before pics). We pulled all of the rocks out and cleaned everything. The pond part was probably close to 4' deep. Lots of work and it turned into a mosquito breeding ground since the pump was super flaky. We did put a bunch of small fish in it from Vector Control which helped a lot. From the waterfall to the pond was the whole width of the backyard (probably 50'+).

That was the first and only time I'll have a pond where I live.

Imgur gallery with pics: Pond - Imgur

we got a decent sized pond. doesn't hold water very well,it's like a gravel pit around here.fills up again every spring when the snow melts.

That photo looks like a post card:thumbsup:
Yeah, you could almost put that photo on Christmas cards, Merry Christmas from the Yoop family!- :laugh:

Really nice looking pond Manchester. Freakish looking frog though :eek:ut:

I was about to put my liner in last weekend after I dug the trench for the electrical and suddenly we got more rain than the yard could handle and everything flooded out. Needless to say, it's dry again and I will resume with my slow progress this weekend.

we got a decent sized pond. doesn't hold water very well,it's like a gravel pit around here.fills up again every spring when the snow melts.
When I worked for a developer we had a few leaky ponds. Over the winter we spread bentonite ( in granular) over the ice, after it melted it settled to the bottom and sealed up nicely. Was pretty cheap too. :thumbsup:

So all my plants seem to be dying. Is there something I am supposed to be doing?
All I did was add water (city water) and drop in the stuff. There's no filter or anything.
The fish seem to be doing ok.