Baja Doodle Bug 30. To buy or not to buy.

I've been thinking about buying one of these DB30's from Joe's Sports.

I want to use it for cruising large outdoor swap-meets, car shows & pit bike type duties. I plan to fab up some type of removeable box or basket to haul parts around with it.

I usually try to avoid buying anything that is made in China, but it is getting harder every day to find an alternative. From my limited reading it sounds like the Doodle Bug has a spotty reputation for reliability & worse yet, the company behind them is even more unreliable.

I also find some posts from owners that are very pleased with their DB30. Usually these are modified machines with a larger engine & a TC, or a young father who's kids haven't managed to break it yet.

Someone please give me the straight poop on these little machines. I'd like to go look at them tomorrow. Will this 5' 8", 190lb. middle age guy, be happy with a Doodle Bug?

Thanks
~JM~

Last edited:
Where are you from? Joes sells them on sale for $199 most of the time. Used ones are $100-$150 like new with burnt clutch.

The engine is too small so plan on replacing it. (add $129 for clone 6.5HP) You'll need to mod the mounts for the 6.5 and get a different clutch. ($30+)

I treat the doodle like an odd ball Chi com beater I can cut on. but one is ok I guess and it's fun to ride with a torque converter. You can find real old school bikes all the time cheap so think about what you really want before pulling the trigger,,,OR just start a collection. :thumbsup:

Theres 8 holes on the mount, 4 are for the little engine and to the left is for a big engine, I put a Belt drive Tav-2 on mine but should line up the same as clutch. I had to upen the slits up to the right to line it up perfect. People also sell mount kits but it's not rocket science.
Lots of bikes for Sale in your area but you have to compete with Steve and a few guys here! :doah: Take a look at craigslist for old school and used doodles I see doodles cheap all the time because people give up on them after the cltch goes and dad sells it off.

I need to paint mine after lowering the fenders but its back on the list and I let the neigbor kids ride it anyway. (so I don't have to worry like my other bikes!)

Last edited:
I let the neigbor kids ride it anyway. (so I don't have to worry like my other bikes!)
I'm putting together a small fleet of various sized Cats for beater/riders. Ugly as hell, but really nice engines.

Gotta be able to share your minibikes....that aren't the nice ones :)

I'm putting together a small fleet of various sized Cats for beater/riders. Ugly as hell, but really nice engines.

Gotta be able to share your minibikes....that aren't the nice ones :)
I've been letting them ride the unrestored ones too but I'd hate to see them bent! We gotta set up the next gen ya know. :thumbsup:

I can't wait to restore the Taco super trail and let them beat the snot out of it. :thefinger:

Mine seems very well built, and with the 6.5 lifan engine it really performs well. My engine swap went easily and smoothly. I still have never dumped it though and I hope I dont. All of my bikes are in showroom condition but the doodle will see beach duty so some sand blasting is expected. (easy to re-do):scooter:

i can`t understand all the pissing and crying about db30`s i have one yes the motor is under powered but other than that it is fine brakes work great throttle is smooth,wheels don`t wobble, handle bars are not bent, out of all the mini`s iv`e built it is the most reliable one if you want to restore an old machine thats great but remember vintage is vintage and new is new one pull start every time ,not like the other old timer motors that come new in the box and still won`t run worth a poo my subaru motor is the only american motor i have i just hate pulling on a new motor for ten minutes and then let it warm up slowly just to ride .this is supposed to be fun not a pissing contest if you like it you buy and enjoy it don`t worry about the other guy if the type of mini you ride matters to them then the hell with them . ps have a great day guy`s:scooter:

i was wondering superior where did u get your engine lifan and would it be hard replacing the engine for a 16 yr old.

The "lifan" 6.5's are ava at Harbor Frieght for around $130. Me and my son (12yr old) are putting one in a Manco T-bird and I can tell you it's no problem at all. His DB30 will be next and I'll let him do that one mostly on his own with some "over the shoulder" supervision. The engine will say HF or Greyhound on the side but the manufacture sticker on the engine will say "lifan"

I am also 5'8" and about 180lbs. and unless you ride strictly on flat paved surfaces, forget about the stock engine. Otherwise, the bike seems reasonally well built. I was able to swap out powerplants without having to use a kit. My clone bolted right up to the stock mounting plate. All I had to do was reverse the direction of the clutch (max-torque clutch) and modify the chain tensioner roller assembly. If you replace the rear sprocket with a larger one, you can get satisfactory performance from the stock engine.:thumbsup: ( check out my crappy picture under "view my photos" on the left)

Well...

There is a bright green 'bug in the garage.

It was originally purchased new in June or July (Can't recall offhand) by the first owner & I just bought it last week from the second . That's correct... I'm #3 in 3 or 4 months. :eek:hmy:

The first owner appears to fancy himself as some form of fab guy. :hack:
The bike has a custom straight pipe & BMX gear on the bars. The BMX stuff is gone & after tomorrow it will have a real twist throttle instead of a brake lever as a throttle. After that, the Edger motor swap will be performed. Followed by a real clutch & a new chain.

I have a question for you guys that weigh over a buck fifty & have managed to get these bikes up to some real speed.

Have you looked down to see what the fork legs are doing? I'd like to hear about this.

Thanks

hey dude i have a db myself and the only problem i have ever had is the chain my older bro got the chain on the guard and tore a link straight off. but he was going like 35 mph.

Last edited: