Baja Heat or Baja Duddlebug

ViperR

Hey all,
I have the opportunity to get either a new Baja Heat w/6.5 clone For $300 from Dick's (display clearance-last one left) OR a new Baja Duddlebug w/Lifan 2.8 at PepBoys for $250.
I'm partial to the old style looking mini's, but really dig the "Harley Sportster" looking miniturized & comfortable riding of this Heat. If I blow the clone, I can get one at HF for $100/coupon. BTW, Dick's manager is giving me till Sat to decide (has another buyer), and Pep's can get the Doodles at any time.
Wadda ya think?? Thanks!
Vipe

I own a 6.5 clone doodlebug and it is a BLAST, but at those prices I'd take the Heat any day. I'm actually in the market for a Heat or mini Baja so I can enjoy the best of both old-school minibiking or easier off-roading depending on my mood.

ViperR

Thanks for the replies, so I bought the Heat. Hey S4, If I can get the manager at Dick's to find another Heat for $300, I'm in the Charlotte area and can let you know where it is.
Vipe

ViperR

Here's a pic of it. Still need to install a better (than plastic) clutch cover, but I ditched thall the decals and put on some Harley's. Has that Sportster look.

Last edited:

ViperR

Hey XX,
It has a converter as you can see in the pic that shows the left side. The clutch 10t chains to a 20t/10t jack-shaft that chains to the 50t rear. It basicly cuts the revolutions to 1/2 than if the 10t was direct to the 50t rear. I'm not messing with the gov and will switch the 20t to 14t. It has tons of take-off torque, but tops @20mph or so. I'm going to split the difference on take-off and top speed with the 14t/10t that should give me around 30mph and good take-off which is fine for me.

delray

viperR,there is a reason why the factory has that type of gear ratio set up on the jackshaft help keep the bike moving. if you start to get to tall in your gear ratio set up the bike will perform poor when using it off-road. for example going up hills. weight can play a big facter in it too. if you weigh alot the clutch will slip alot more and over heat the unit and burn it up. the only thing you can do is just try new gear set up and see if it works ok. if you are just riding on flat pavement and grass? it probable will be just find:thumbsup:
best thing you could do is buy a torque converter.......:scooter: day and night from the jackshaft set up:thumbsup:

http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/project-logs/12275-project-build-rear-springs.html

Ok, I guess it's not a converter and is probbably a gear reduction/transmission? This will only be a street bike, so I'll gamble $10 on a 14t. Thanks for setting me straight on tc's.

ViperR

So,
I installed the 14t, removed some links and the low-end take off suffered only a little bit (I'm 160 lbs.), but got 30mph on top end like I calculated. Gov'ed engine still stayed at it's 3600rpm as it's set. Good compromise, since this is for just neighborhood street cruising.

The only reason i say to remove the Governor is because its free, you will gain about 8 mph, only takes about 45 minutes to do and it won't hurt your engine, the valves will float before any damage is done to your engine. Not really any down sides to it IMO.

it also greatly increases you chances of breaking the rod as well. they weren't designed to run over 3600rpm.
I know people who have run them for years without any problems. Thousands of people run them like this in stock Kart events. If you do throw a rod your talking about a $99 HF engine to replace it.

Last edited:
So,
I installed the 14t, removed some links and the low-end take off suffered only a little bit (I'm 160 lbs.), but got 30mph on top end like I calculated. Gov'ed engine still stayed at it's 3600rpm as it's set. Good compromise, since this is for just neighborhood street cruising.
Viper,

Where did you get the 14t sprocket? I just picked up a Baja Mini so I can ride with my son and his stock DB30 w/ a 2.8 will out run the Mini. :scooter: The mini will smoke the DB off the line, but as soon as the DB starts to wind out he'll buzz right by me. It seems like the governor kicks in way too soon on the Baja Mini. The only mod I done to it so far was back out the throttle stop screw.