Baja MB200

Doing a restoration on a MB200 frame I picked up. I planned on making the gas tank up top functional (instead of decorative) and removing the gas tank off the motor. After seeing some pictures, I do not like the way way it looks and leaves so much space down there when using a 212cc. So I figured, what better way to fill said space, BIGGER engine lol. Im looking at the powerland 420cc (identical to a clone, just cheaper). Obviously a 40 series TC if outrageous so if I went this route, it would be cheaper to buy the jackshaft plate much like the factory setup used. Now, these come factory with a 20 tooth from the clutch to a 10 tooth from the JS to the 50 tooth sprocket. Would that gearing be sufficient for a good balance of acceleration and top speed? If not, what would be the ideal gearing/ratio for this?

Thanks for all you guys' input.

Doing a restoration on a MB200 frame I picked up. I planned on making the gas tank up top functional (instead of decorative) and removing the gas tank off the motor. After seeing some pictures, I do not like the way way it looks and leaves so much space down there when using a 212cc. So I figured, what better way to fill said space, BIGGER engine lol. Im looking at the powerland 420cc (identical to a clone, just cheaper). Obviously a 40 series TC if outrageous so if I went this route, it would be cheaper to buy the jackshaft plate much like the factory setup used. Now, these come factory with a 20 tooth from the clutch to a 10 tooth from the JS to the 50 tooth sprocket. Would that gearing be sufficient for a good balance of acceleration and top speed? If not, what would be the ideal gearing/ratio for this?

Thanks for all you guys' input.
There is not a lot of room for your feet with a big block.
Its also expensive to build engines around that platform.

I suggest you try and find a used Briggs 305 ( a little smaller block ) and consider an under rail fuel if the void there bothers you.

Do you really need a bigger engine?
What are you doing with the bike?

Do I need the bigger engine? No. but on the other hand, I'm a speed junkie. Like Ricky Bobby says, I wanna go fast lol. it will just be for cruising around the neighborhood and down some old back roads. I guess I should stick with the 212. I may just slap the decorative tank on it and juice up the 212.

Do I need the bigger engine? No. but on the other hand, I'm a speed junkie. Like Ricky Bobby says, I wanna go fast lol.
I don't know that member.

A small block is plenty fast when built correctly and geared right.

I have driven these very fast.
You have no front brake and I don't think you understand how bad the bike handles and stops.

Be practical and build something that's nice to drive.
If its geared too fast and you have the power to push it there it will not be fun anywhere but on a flat long straight stretch of road.
The kind of road the police will give you a ticket for riding on..

Twid

Do I need the bigger engine? No. but on the other hand, I'm a speed junkie. Like Ricky Bobby says, I wanna go fast lol. it will just be for cruising around the neighborhood and down some old back roads. I guess I should stick with the 212. I may just slap the decorative tank on it and juice up the 212.
A built 212 will give you a scare just gear it for the riding you do. Carful the baja mb200 isn't the best quality for a ton of power.

I don't know that member.
Ricky Bobby is a caricature in the movie talladega nights.

Thanks for the input. I plan on using a TC on it. I am going to be running an ungoverned 212 hemi with stage 1 kit. The kit will have a 10 tooth sprocket on the TC and a 50 tooth sprocket. Does the BMI gearing calculator work for setups with TCs? If so, according to it, I will get a top speed of 61 MPH at 5400 RPM.

Also, what is the difference in a 20 series and a 30 series? Which one would be better for my application? Thanks.

Thanks for the input. I plan on using a TC on it. I am going to be running an ungoverned 212 hemi with stage 1 kit. The kit will have a 10 tooth sprocket on the TC and a 50 tooth sprocket. Does the BMI gearing calculator work for setups with TCs? If so, according to it, I will get a top speed of 61 MPH at 5400 RPM.

Also, what is the difference in a 20 series and a 30 series? Which one would be better for my application? Thanks.
There is a lot of good information here on this site but your going to have to research this and carefully plan.

If you use a 30 series ( and you should )
Buy a 9 tooth sprocket for the TC to reduce the final drive ratio ( you will need this )
Get a comet yellow spring for the secondary too.

Stage one kits are made for karts.
You building something a bit different.

You should buy some billet race parts if that is your choice and stick with a simple known combination of parts like the Momba cam.
ARC rod and a billet flywheel.

I am not going to get into a build for you because there are many good ones here you can read about and copy.
They all share the same formula however, they are conservative with small cams.

I dont see why a stage one kit has to be strictly for karts. Im not spending alot on billet parts. Just getting the intake/exhaust/large jet to spruce it up a bit. Thanks for the information. I can tear a motor down all the way, but I know nothing about TCs. What is a yellow spring and what does it do? Is it easy to install?

a 9 tooth TC sprocket with a 50 tooth drive sprocket? 5.56 ratio. Is that doable? An 8 tooth would get me to 6.25. Forgive me, im no whiz at gearing.

I dont see why a stage one kit has to be strictly for karts. Im not spending alot on billet parts. Just getting the intake/exhaust/large jet to spruce it up a bit. Thanks for the information. I can tear a motor down all the way, but I know nothing about TCs. What is a yellow spring and what does it do? Is it easy to install?
A 9 tooth TC sprocket with a 50 tooth drive sprocket? 5.56 ratio. Is that doable? An 8 tooth would get me to 6.25. Forgive me, im no whiz at gearing.
Don't ask any more questions.
Obviously you are looking for someone to tell you that you know exactly what you should do, and advice is like a second bum hole.

Ive built 3 predators now and ran them for a long time with just a stage one upgrade with governor removed and no billet parts. Not had the first problem. As long as you dont go to 18lb springs and leave the factory valve springs in it then valve float prevents the engine from exceeding 5200 RPM. My question was regarding gearing, not what to do with my engine.

Last edited:

Twid

I don't take mine over 6000 rpm's but Iv heard of dudes hitting 8000-9000 rpm's. Imagine having a chunk of cast iron flying between your legs if a flywheel come apart. That's a butthole pucker thought.

A piece of iron killing a 9 year old spectator would make you wish you lost more than your balls.
I agree with you completely. I had a piece of cast iron flywheel bounce past my feet at a high rate of speed at the drag strip years ago..... Makes you rethink what you build. I haven't bought a stock clutch or used a factory flywheel since and that was 40 years ago. Its not safe for anybody under any circumstances.

And no, I wasn't trying to make lite of the circumstances you were addressing.

Last edited:
I agree with you completely. I had a piece of cast iron flywheel bounce past my feet at a high rate of speed at the drag strip years ago..... Makes you rethink what you build. I haven't bought a stock clutch or used a factory flywheel since and that was 40 years ago. Its not safe for anybody under any circumstances.

And no, I wasn't trying to make lite of the circumstances you were addressing.
I like my balls and would like to keep all three of them....
You made a good point, but I just had to be the "asshole" for our new friend and drive home the point a little harder.

I spend my days looking at things and watching people do stuff that keeps me up at night.
Usually Sunday when I have to return to work in the morning and Monday night as I digest the days events.
Some people think safety is strictly a personal matter, but it's not.

We have to consider what we do and even the advice we give.
We even need to think about the results of inaction if we let bad things happen to people who we could have helped.
Even if it is not appreciated we should do the right thing.

Everyday I fill in my workplace safety slip.
Its a stupid paper exercise written by people trying to push all the responsibility on me and others with stupid questions about vague tasks.
But on the first line of every new page I always write " Do The Right Thing " before my set of daily work instructions.
Its not there because I am a fool that does not understand right from wrong.
I write it as a reminder to myself to look around and right any wrongs before bad things happen.

Have you ever known or suspected that something you said F-It about and walked away from may have contributed to a death?
Imagine how that feels?
Even if it turns out to have been so small it would not have made a difference you will remember walking away and have to live with that shame.