Baja Racer (DB30S I think) max tire size

I'm about to go pick up my first mini which I'm getting in trade for an old Honda pit bike engine.
It's a lime green Baja Racer with a 3hp engine in it. I'm going to toss a Predator 212 in there at some point as I doubt very much the stock engine will move me with any speed whatsoever.

I'm more interested in what the biggest tires are I can throw on this thing are. As it stands it looks like they're 6" tires? The Baja page doesn't have much information on it and the specs are non-existent.

Looking at a few product pages it's telling me that the available tires what will fit are only rated up to 165lbs. I'm 6'4"/260lbs so this isn't gonna work for me. Is this weight rating for real? Is there any recourse for us bigger guys?

Daniel Coop

165lb per tire I'm thinking, but don't worry about weight and load limits of tires... We're all above 165 and if you read the owners manual, I think it tells you the bikes max weight limit is 150lbs so you are way over that anyway. No, that 3hp motor will probably barely get you moving, especially up any kind of hill whatsoever. The Predator can be had for $99-119 depending on if they're on sale. You need the Predator to turn the kids toy into an adult toy.
I should also mention that DB30's are by far the easiest to work on and fix up. One of my personal favorites. I have 2.

Last edited:
I have seen your post where you picked up yet another one. I'm getting pretty excited to go pick this thing up. I'm going to be going to a Mad Max themed vintage scooter rally in a few weeks and while this isn't a vintage scooter by a long shot it will look a lot closer to a Mad Max/post apocalyptic vehicle than all the pretty little Vespas, Lambrettas, and Cushmans folks will have as well. It'll also be more reliable (I hope), but that's neither here nor there.

I think I saw in another thread that someone had a similar question to mine in this one. They linked these tires as the largest ones available to fit on the stock rims: https://www.tires-easy.com/brands/wdt-tires/p333?code=P333145706B

Is this true? Will these fit the rims on the DB30?

Also, where can I find a manual for this thing? Is the Baja Racer the same as a newer model one of a similar appearance?

I'm more versed in the ways of vintage Honda than I am in these mini bikes tbh, so please forgive my ignorance.

Daniel Coop

I have seen your post where you picked up yet another one. I'm getting pretty excited to go pick this thing up. I'm going to be going to a Mad Max themed vintage scooter rally in a few weeks and while this isn't a vintage scooter by a long shot it will look a lot closer to a Mad Max/post apocalyptic vehicle than all the pretty little Vespas, Lambrettas, and Cushmans folks will have as well. It'll also be more reliable (I hope), but that's neither here nor there.

I think I saw in another thread that someone had a similar question to mine in this one. They linked these tires as the largest ones available to fit on the stock rims: https://www.tires-easy.com/brands/wdt-tires/p333?code=P333145706B

Is this true? Will these fit the rims on the DB30?

Also, where can I find a manual for this thing? Is the Baja Racer the same as a newer model one of a similar appearance?

I'm more versed in the ways of vintage Honda than I am in these mini bikes tbh, so please forgive my ignorance.
Those are the stock size tire. Just be aware that if you plan on doing mostly street riding like I do, you will wear out knobbys quickly and they can ride a little rough. I have 13×6.50×6 on the the rears of both my DB's. A street tread tire on my white stretched DB, off a pocket bike, and an 8" X1 super pocket bike front wheel and street tire on the front. My new DB has the same size rear, but in a grooved slick tire (which oddly is a larger diameter than the street tread tire) and a slightly smaller 13×5.00×6 grooved slick mounted on the front. I'll have to check out the one's Doug is referring to. I was not aware of that size, but it would definitely be larger than the stock, and what I am using.