Band Brake No Bracket

Anyone running a band brake with a single bolt and no bracket.
Would like picture of how you threaded the cable thru the upper part of the band amd any adapter.

deleting my post the other image came in after I posted. that helps so much I actually bought steel to make a plate this weekend

Ohhhh that makes sense.
Good idea with the hole. I ran my bolt thru a sleeve. I May heve to find a bigger bolt with the proper threads. Drilling a hole thu my skinny bolt might make it too weak.
Suggestions?
....The anchor bolt appears to be on the wrong end of the band.

These are the two ways I sometimes run my cables:

...Yes, I drill a hole in the anchoring bolt.

Last edited:

Mac

I May heve to find a bigger bolt with the proper threads. Drilling a hole thu my skinny bolt might make it too weak.
Suggestions?
I use a 3/8" anchoring bolt/rod.
Plenty strong with a hole barely larger than the cable drilled through it.

Mac

Don't understand what you mean explain please seems to work okay!!
FRANK
Check out derekbmn's orange minibike setup above.
The drag of the brake should pull against the bolt,
and not the cable as it does on yours.

Your setup would be perfect if the engine ran backwards.

oops

the metal plate at the top is for the cable to go thru to the bottom of the clutch ,with a spring in between the center of the plate to the bottom of the clutch?
Does that sound wright saw it done on here but can't find it yet but I will give me some time!
thats where I got the idea
FRANK

Since there is only one anchor point have you noticed you band slipping around the clutch trying to pull itself up or down?

found it

RTK, minibikins friend is building a project arco bike .
This is where I got the idea for mine is it wrong? do you mean I should go thru the stationary mounting bolt at the top of the brake shoe .
Can u show me some of those brakes U have done not just the mounts but how it's mounted on the bike?
Thanks,
FRANK

Check out derekbmn's orange minibike setup above.
The drag of the brake should pull against the bolt,
and not the cable as it does on yours.

Your setup would be perfect if the engine ran backwards.

Last edited:

RTK

RTK, minibikins friend is building a project arco bike .
This is where I got the idea for mine is it wrong? do you mean I should go thru the stationary mounting bolt at the top of the brake shoe .
Can u show me some of those brakes U have done not just the mounts but how it's mounted on the bike?
Thanks,
FRANK
My bike is done and running now and the brakes work great like this. I understand the logic of having it pull with the rotation of the clutch but do not feel it needs to be that way. Definetly more than one way to skin a cat. The same basic bracket could still be used just flip it to the back side of the clutch. With the brake set up pulling the direction of rotation it seems like it would tend to lock up really easy. Once you had some drag on it the clutch would want to pull it tighter on its own. I know if I roll mine backwards and barely touch the lever the wheel wants to lock up but stops smooth in a forward direction. Obviously this is a low speeds so it's hard to say for sure.I will say this is the first mini bike I have built though so I'm sure the others on here have way more expierience then me. I may make another bracket and try it the other way actually riding under power and see how it performs. If I get a chance to do that I'll post up my findings.:scooter: