Bearings

Hey, as luck would find it...My dad found some original 5" rims from one of my old minibikes...these are steel two piece rims and I'm going to use them on the Atlas....

Question 1. these rims have tappered roller bearings (timken USA) that are shot... I measured the OD on the hub as 1.75 but I'm not finding much if any with that size race. I am seeing 1.781 which is about a 32nd different...I don't have a mic so are most old axle hubs like this 1 3/4 OD?

Question 2. Has anyone had luck using spacers behind the sprocket to give some room between the sprocket and tire...for addition of a brake caliper later? I figured I could add longer sprocket bolts and some kind of sleeve...but didn't want to reinvent the wheel if you guys have been down this road before.

I have spacers between my wheel and my sprocket, they are 3/4 of an inch long, they get the sprocket further away from my wheel. Its not for the addition of a braking system as for the brake is on the other side, If what your asking is has it been done? in my case yes they are there and I have not had an issue with them

It came this way, and I dont have a good picture. Most if not all bikes have spacers between the sprocket and tire now that I think about it:thumbsup:

Just to make sure im completely understanding this, you want to go tire, disc, sprocket?

Alrite, I have two picture that will help you,

But you should be fine with the spacers

Not that great, But it may help you a little bit

Last edited:
Ok, thanks. I'm still struggling what to use on the sprocket studs to gain about 1/2 inch between the inside of the sprocket and the wheel. It would be something like a 3/8 id x 1/2" long alum tube that would slide over each sprocket stud to move that sprocket away from the rim/tire...

My Kart had four bolts, that ran through holding the rim together, these were too short I went out and bought longer bolts, so that I could get the sprocket where i needed it, and made bigger spacers to push it further in.

It works good, just make sure you get grade 8 bolts

Ok thanks for the help. I need to get my bearings sourced and then can get to piecing everything together....I have to keep reminding myself that figuring all of this out and finding the right parts is part of the fun.

Here's a shot of the back end and the sprocket that I need to space out from the tire/wheel... Don't think there will be enough room for a disc/sprocket brake the way it is???

Spacers(not stacks of washers) should work fine. If you can, a 1 peice spacer(instead of individual spacers) between the flange and sprocket would be great.
Looks like you are moving along now:thumbsup:

Does anybody make such a spacer...I was thinking about some thickwall alum tube cut to equal leanths and then just get some longer sprocket bolts....

I'm going to try and get some replacement bearings at lunch...

The red hubs you see are 5" and are from the 50's according to my dad...tappered roller bearings and full welds all around...I'd be crazy not to use them...they are just so much better than the chianease crap out there today...

poorboy, you can get the spacers at a good hardware store. I've found them at Lowes in the drawers with all the special hardware. The problem with making them yourself if you don't have a lathe is you need them all to be the exact same length and the ends perfectly square. Not that it can't be done but it's much quicker and easier to just spend a few bucks and buy them.

If you use aluminum for the spacers, I think you want at least 1/4" wall and probably more to be able to torque the nuts and have them stay tight. Aluminum is pretty soft for this usage.

Ratbike

Hey, as luck would find it...My dad found some original 5" rims from one of my old minibikes...these are steel two piece rims and I'm going to use them on the Atlas....

Question 1. these rims have tappered roller bearings (timken USA) that are shot... I measured the OD on the hub as 1.75 but I'm not finding much if any with that size race. I am seeing 1.781 which is about a 32nd different...I don't have a mic so are most old axle hubs like this 1 3/4 OD?

Question 2. Has anyone had luck using spacers behind the sprocket to give some room between the sprocket and tire...for addition of a brake caliper later? I figured I could add longer sprocket bolts and some kind of sleeve...but didn't want to reinvent the wheel if you guys have been down this road before.
This what I did for a brake...simple and works extremely well! Just another option you might consider as it is very inexpensive to build .

Last edited:
Yea, there are other options for sure...I just like the idea of using a disk on the drive axle for safety...Thanks for showing me the clutch brake...I may have to go that route.