bearkat twister

I got this twister from my grandfather in 1987, it was my 8th b-day. My dad had it for a year or so, but after attending this years tote gote fest I traded him my running twister and brought it back home for another go around. I put some work into it about 12 years ago and smoked the engine shortly after. There is more work to be done and some things I will do differently this time around-

engines

The engine on the right is my builder. It's an I/C 8 hp with a ball bearing supported crank (notice large journal in side cover) The output shaft is too long and will have to be machined or replaced with a shorter one from a different engine. Three out of the four others have exploded, at least one is a boat anchor.

I have an 8hp that needs to have the shaft turned, too. Most ball bearing 8hp motors have this extra long shaft. You could use the recoil/fan shroud on the left. The embossed covers always add nice detail to an old motor. Plus it has the 'cast' spring/spool housing which is better than the stamped steel ones.

fan shrouds

I like the embossed shroud too. I got that one in a box of miscellaneous parts my grandpa gave me. I need to send the 7hp copper colored one to my dad, I think its original to his twister. The black one has no numbers, I used it when I did my first rebuild and did away with the one it had before I knew better. It was cracked but I wish I had the numbers. If the block has a large exhaust port is it a 6hp?

MB165

If you guys ever run across a Twister in the Phoenix, AZ area that has a brazed handle bar let me know. My father had one back in 1980 and the handlebar cracked in between the throttle assy and the right fork tube. it was a lengthwise crack if I remember right. That would be neat to see that turn up.

engine mount

Forgot Im not supposed to ask questions on this forum.
Ive only stumbled across one other twister in 25 years, but I haven't been searching for them until recently.
I plan on using a tote gote design for the motor mount. The stock system works fine, but the bushings are not easily replaced

Hey Tim! I absolutely love the Twister!! Looks in great shape! This is on my short list of must own someday! I dont say that about alot of mini's! Never seen one in person....but all the picts ive seen of them just strike a cord deep down inside of me! Maybe weird but....ahhhhhhhh someday:shrug: Maybe I can arm wrestle Outlaw Ace for his:laugh:

muffler

Today a friend of mine donated a small supertrapp to the cause. It has about a 1" inlet and is USFS approved. I plan on keeping this bike basically stock but not without improvements. The exhaust and intake will be full custom. (Maybe even a mikuni carb) Depends on what fits with the compact jackshaft and fender design -

I may have jumped the gun starting this build thread over two years ago. Well I've bought and sold a few trail scooters since then, but this bike is still at the top of my priority list.
I saw a tote gote 760 at the 2013 gote fest with an atv tire that fit nicely, and I just bought a new set for my bike. Also saw a nice 530 at this year's gote fest with a shiny new set of shocks that would fit the twister, so I bought a set of those as well. (Thank you Richard Trotter)
Still have a long way to go, hope to keep the ball rolling.

I'm afraid not. I got sidetracked on a big bike build, a 79 Honda XR500.
On the twister I decided I wanted to use a subaru robin EH30 or EH34 vertical cylinder ohv engine. Unfortunately I was told by a supplier that they are discontinued. I don't think that the engines such as the Honda gx390 would fit without a lot of modification. I'll probably stay with the briggs flathead, and I recently picked up a really cool dellorto carburetor for it.