Bent Pushrods

Hey guys its been a while since i posted up hear. Ive been at school for to long. My dads been trying to get me to fix his generator. At first it looked like a broken push rod so i replaced it with a new one. A few days later he said it stopped working so i took the valve cover off and the new push rod had bent again. The engine is a briggs intek i believe. Not to old either. Also it is on the exhaust side only. Even when i turn over the engine i can see it flexing alot! I have read that it could be a loose valve guide or the valve guide could have even backed out a bit? The exhaust valve even wiggles a little bit with in the guide, compared to the intake. I just wanted to see if someone else could help pinpoint the problem :shrug: Thanks for any help guys

buckeye

I have one that the valves won't stay set. 18 on my lawnmower.
Sounds like you are on the right track but, what caused it?
Welcome back. How's your build? That thing was lookin fine last time you did anything here.
You know just because you off to school gettin some learning doesn't mean you have to forget about you OldMiniBikes buds.

MB165

Try taking the spring off and see if the valve moves free.
If the valve is seizing in the guide, as soon as the cam tries to open it, the pushrod will eventually bend. This is common on engines run with stale gas, the fuel will act like glue. Carbon build up does it too.

Welcome back Alexp, I have 10 Inteks and never had that problem? But it sounds likely what MB165 said. Engine is trying to move the valve but valves not moving and rod gets bent. Best pull the head make sure there is no hidden problems. Good Luck

I have one that the valves won't stay set. 18 on my lawnmower.
Sounds like you are on the right track but, what caused it?
Welcome back. How's your build? That thing was lookin fine last time you did anything here.
You know just because you off to school gettin some learning doesn't mean you have to forget about you OldMiniBikes buds.
haha i know man to much work and to little time to post. I plan on finishing the bike up sometime this summer. But i recently got a GS 500 as my first bike and have been doing work on that, and towards getting my license and the rest taken care of.

Now I have already removed the valves and the exhaust value moves soooo easy. A lot easier then the intake even. I have to go check to see if there would be something stopping the exhaust from opening fully. Its almost like there is too much play in the exhaust valve so it almost like its making it try to open crooked? idk. I hope it doesnt need an entire new head. Maybe inteks arent as reliable as there L head.. Thanks for the help if anyone has any other ideas dont heasitate :thumbsup:

Outdoordistributors.com carries the head new at the lowest price I could find so far-$146.81 not including postage. The p/n is 793009 which has been replaced by 799859. Breakdown doesn't show a valve guide. There are none on Ebay. Good Luck

Thanks but is there anyway to be sure that the head is the problem cause my dad doesnt want me to drop 150 for a head that wont fix the problem