Best Paint Remover Sorta...

HI,

I have a couple of new scoots I've posted about in the US Vintage section trying to figure out exactly what I have. One, a Rupp apparently from 1969, has three layers of paint. I think the layer closest to metal is candy green. I'd like a paint remover that took the paint off in layers sorta so I can see if my old eyes are tricking me or not. I am not trying to save the paint. Rather, I'm just trying to see what is there. I am going to bare metal for sure to repaint.

Thanks!

Applies to both this and your other thread. Aircraft paint stripper. Semi-paste, don't use it too thick or leave it on too long and you will see the layers. Aircraft paint strippers is what it's called. It's not actual aircraft paint stripper. I use it and do the same thing as you want to do. It is interesting to see the layers, and how HPE MUSKIN (this bike) didn't always use primer, but a silver base coat.

capguncowboy

Has anyone tried Dupli-Color's spray-on paint remover?

DupliColor Paint Stripper 11-Oz Aerosol Spray Paint
I haven't used theirs, but the Jasco brand of spray on stripper works really well. I normally use the brush-on stuff, but the spray is great for the tight spots and fins on engines.

I've tried a few different brands and all of them seem to work about the same. If you wear gloves, don't use nitrile. That stuff just goes right through them. I found out the hard way

j57little

Love the Coronet! Mine's not a '67 R/T, but my wife wanted a convertible so I had to settle for a '66 500. With good bones and all-original interior it'll do!

Use dot 3 brake fluid its not leathal . Rubbing it on can remove paint slowly , while soaking a part in it will strip it more agressively . Its perfect for taking paint of of chrome too .