bird coil spring forks

going to look at a bird tomorrow, one side of the forks is broken. he sent a pic. looks like it broke under the lower triple tree. the inside slider. can these be taken apart and welded successfully if taken to a pro? anyone have any pics of forks disassembled. will know more tomorrow. is this a deal breaker? thanks:thumbsup::doah:

:thumbsup:thanks. that's exactly like the break on the bird forks. looks like it's stuck in the lower fork too. how do they come apart? again pics were great

markus

:thumbsup:thanks. that's exactly like the break on the bird forks. looks like it's stuck in the lower fork too. how do they come apart? again pics were great
The springs hold the forks together, the coils are threaded onto little tabs on the cups, they unscrew.

On mine I cut the fender mount where it was welded to one of the lowers so I could simply unscrew the tubes and springs and just welded it back when i got it put back together.

Some guys have had luck using a strap wrench around the spring itself to get enough twist to get it off one of the cup lips as well.

fork tubes end at top triple tree. gonna grind off welds at both trees, remove old tube, replace with new tube & weld together:grind::hammer:

I got my forks soaking in PB blaster as the upper tubes are frozen in the lowers big time , I took some 2" pvc with caps on one end made em 14" long and lowered forks down into the pipes , only took a small amount of blaster to submerge them completely ! I'll see if it worked when I get home tonight ?? I'll post some pics too !
This is the stick welded mess I had to start with and the forks are severed right above the bottom tree ! I got some work on these :laugh:

Alright , got them partly apart , had to drill 1/4 " holes in lowers down near end of fork tube , inverted forks and poured Blaster in ! It did the trick , along ways to go still one upper was stuck up and one stuck down , some ding-a-ling welded the shit out of em , had the top spring cups welded down about an inch or so from the bottom tree ??? I'll have a lot to do but am now confident I can restore these to there original functional glory !