Bird 'Falcon' Question...

I picked up a Bird 'Falcon' recently that has a factory-installed Comet 2-speed jackshaft...

I've never seen a Falcon with a 2-speed before...anyone have any info?

The scrub brake mounting tabs are much larger than the standard Falcon or Duck tabs, allowing for an adjustable 2-speed Comet jackshaft to be mounted...

I never realized the Duck/Falcon was such a small frame...I put the Falcon frame next to an Azusa frame (which is small in comparison to other brands) and the Azusa dwarfed the Bird...the Falcon is almost circus clown tiny.

gbones

i guess this is your 1st duck? i also have a duck, its my 1st mini ever so i cant really compare frame sizes with other minis. ya there kind of small but fit me pretty good, seeing that im only 5' 6" 160lbs. but i love the style of these frames, thats what caught my eye when i saw it on CL 2 years ago. anyways, what are your plans on this frame? any ideas on a color? any mods up your sleeve. will you be keeping the scrub brake? i cant wait to see what youre gonna do with this, itll give me some ideas for my duck.:thumbsup:

i guess this is your 1st duck? i also have a duck, its my 1st mini ever so i cant really compare frame sizes with other minis. ya there kind of small but fit me pretty good, seeing that im only 5' 6" 160lbs. but i love the style of these frames, thats what caught my eye when i saw it on CL 2 years ago. anyways, what are your plans on this frame? any ideas on a color? any mods up your sleeve. will you be keeping the scrub brake? i cant wait to see what youre gonna do with this, itll give me some ideas for my duck.:thumbsup:
Yeah, first duck...I don't usually go for the suspension bikes...passed on a lot of cheap ($30-$35) Rupps...

Passed on a Powell Challenger too...

I've been turning down sweet deals on a lot of bikes lately, but the Comet 2-speed jackshaft caught my interest...

Unfortunately, the chrome on the Bird forks wasn't worth saving, so I buffed it off and primed the entire frameset...

I had to take a torch to the forks to straighten them, so the chrome was a goner anyway...

I also had to straighten the footbar and weld-fill some extra drilled holes in the frame...

I wish the bike had been in better condition so it would have been a less expensive candidate for an accurate restoration...

As it is, I'll just shoot it 'Bird Blue', throw an HS40 in it, and ride it til someone else wants it...

The 2-speed works, so it's worth putting the bike back together.

Thanks, Delray...my bike looked almost exactly like Coop's when I got it...I have the 'deluxe' exhaust with the chrome slash cut tip ($5 extra)...

But our frames are slightly different than the ad...maybe we have a different year production?

delray

yes i was thinking maybe different year too:shrug: little rusty on that type of bike.
i have a two speed setup that looks like it's for the same unit. front drive is a mercury unit and two speed jackshaft setup is a comet. now i just got to find a bike for it.:doah::rolleyes:

Those 2-speed shafts are definitely worth installing...the low speed cog allows for quick takeoffs and the high speed clutch cog automatically engages smoothly without the hassle of shifting.:thumbsup:

Nifty little design...until the ratchets in the low speed cog bind up at high speed and the whole thing explodes.:doah:

There is a large 'W' stamped on the left front of the engine plate, but no numbers...

I didn't see any numbers anywhere on the bike, and the paint was original, so it hadn't been sanded before.

hhmmm "W" you say. i have *802278*, and there is those little "*"s i wonder if there is a way to decifer the letter and numbers. i think every bird owner should post the numbers and letters, and get to the bottom of this.:shrug:

I would be curious to know how many were made...the Birds were very popular, at least in this area...which makes sense, since they were made in Nebraska.

...and there's a Sensation in almost every barn and garage here.

i was thinking that my #s was the date it was made, but obviously not, unless some1 at the plant mismatched the 8 with the 0. but still doesnt make sence, since these style frames werent made in the late 70s, rite? and im sure my bird wasnt the 802,278th made. so the mystery continues. :confused: