Bird Wren

Bird Wren 1.JPG Bird Wren.JPG

Just bought this Bird Wren off ebay. Tickled pink to get it. I've been looking for an early Wren forever. I wanted the single downtube frame version from around 1961 or 1962 but this will suffice for now. Not sure what year this one would be. I assume this model still used the Clinton Panther engine but the sprocket is on the opposite side on this one. Anyone know what year(s) this one would be and the correct motor? Thanks.

It's not a Wren. The early bikes that you mentioned were called Wrens. But they changed the name of that frame design to Sprite.

This is the frame design after the 61/62 Wren. This is a 1966

Thanks SimpleTom. Do you know what year(s) the Sprite is? Yes, I really wanted an early Wren like the one in the old ads in the back of Cycle World magazine..like the one Mimi is on in the Mechanics Illustrated picture. I'm 66 years old and been looking for one since I was about 12 years old. I've only seen one my whole life..kid in my neighborhood got one. I was going to put a Clinton A400/490/ or A500 motor in this one but I see it has a 4 stroke motor..Briggs I assume. Which is fine..I really just wanted and old school minibike with the proper look. I don't like the later Bird minibikes..and I know you can get kits that are close to the looks and all..but got this one a lot cheaper than just a frame/fork kit.

Last edited:
Ittype2slo, as I said to SimpleTom I really wanted the earlier Wren but this is still an old style proper minibike..just couldn't pass on it. I've only been looking for a real Wren for about 55 years LOL. Seriously. I've never seen one for sale. I'll keep you in mind about the fenders if I find something else. Thanks.

Itype2slo

Ittype2slo, as I said to SimpleTom I really wanted the earlier Wren but this is still an old style proper minibike..just couldn't pass on it. I've only been looking for a real Wren for about 55 years LOL. Seriously. I've never seen one for sale. I'll keep you in mind about the fenders if I find something else. Thanks.
Thanks. Good luck.

markus

Greencycle., the bike you bought was produced around 1980 timeframe. You can tell by the seat, they went to a molded foam that looks like upholstery but isn't around then. The ID tag plate location on the forks is also what the later-up till end bikes had.

correct engines on those were an H30 or h35 tecumseh I cant remember which one...been awhile since I worked on this one:

Last edited:
Bird.jpg

Thanks Markus. I took a better photo today. Thanks for the engine info. I have some Briggs laying around ('70s era) but I'll check out the Tecumsehs on ebay and see what comes up. This is only the second minibike I've had in my 66 years (LOL)..I'm mostly into vintage Japanese bikes from the '60s. But I wanted a Bird Wren so bad when I was about 11 years old (1960)..and this one is close enough..retaining the "classic" Bird dimensions and style. I'm in N. Fl. by the way- near Lake City.

markus

Those make great custom bikes looks wise....terrible riders for an adult due to size and handlebar location though.But do retain an early look and feel and with the right vintage parts and frame tweaks can pull off an early 60's look easily :thumbsup:

buckeye

Welcome to the fun.
I like your idea. There are lots of folks on here that would be,willing to help you achieve your goals.
Try want ad for what you want.
Good luck.