Bonanza BC 1000?

HI -Of course pics will be better but my "complete" uploads to this site are not showing up in my user gallery or album. I've tried several times but nothing...so I will keep working on it. Anyway, yesterday I picked up what appears to be a Bonanza BC 1000. The details are as follows:

-Shocks on rear
-Forks appear to be the spring loaded type but don't have rubber boots
-No badge but 3 holes in triangular shape on fork plate. Doesn't appear that a badge was ever mounted. The paint around the holes and the holes are perfect shape.
-Color is red. Appears to be original. Don't see another color underneath.
-scrub brake on right
-fold up foot pegs
-Jackshaft
-fender mounts but no fenders
-There is what I think is supposed to be kickstand welded on to left side of the frame but it's mounted very oddly. When it is open it is horizontal to the ground and at a right angle to the frame. In other words it does not open down as you would expect. There is a 4 number part number on it.
-Go-power wheel on front. Rear is same size but not a go-power wheel. The silverish color of both matches.
-Engine is HS35 Tecumseh.
-Seat missing.

Pictures coming soon. I guess I'm wondering if Bonanza made these in red and if they came from factory with two different wheels.

Well.......
BC1000's that came in red were BC500 kits.
BC1000- Hardtail with straight forks, no suspension.
BC1100- Hardtail w/ springer front fork
BC1200/1300 - Swing arm rear with springer fork.

I haven't seen any factory bike of any kind with a swing arm and scrub brake.

Pics would definitely help here.

1stlegendtx

Well.......
BC1000's that came in red were BC500 kits.
BC1000- Hardtail with straight forks, no suspension.
BC1100- Hardtail w/ springer front fork
BC1200/1300 - Swing arm rear with springer fork.

I haven't seen any factory bike of any kind with a swing arm and scrub brake.

Pics would definitely help here.
The Zebra 500 I got from GTO has a floating swing arm mounted scrub brake.:shrug:

mybiz

BC1300 but they had a hand brake..:shrug::confused:

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]
[/FONT]

Your bike in your photo album is a Cat Dominator Someone replaced the rear axle mounts and the wheels are wrong. Should be 6" And they also welded the exstention bar on the back of the frame for the seat. Here is a pic of one.:thumbsup:

Okay, here are the pics

Hope what I am doing is okay. I finally figured out the pics sizes were too large to upload. Now I couldn't figure out how to edit my original post. Sorry I'm learning. I just posted quite a few pics in my album. I also got a bunch of extra parts, shocks and fenders. The shocks are Made In Italy and the fenders are not for this bike. Enjoy -

Last edited:
That's a BC1200/1300. The red is not original. It would have been blue. Front wheel is correct, rear wheel is not. The scrub brake was added on by someone. The kickstand just needs to be bent back down so it's under the bike to work. Bonanza did not weld the kickstands to the bikes.

that helps.

That's a BC1200/1300. The red is not original. It would have been blue. Front wheel is correct, rear wheel is not. The scrub brake was added on by someone. The kickstand just needs to be bent back down so it's under the bike to work. Bonanza did not weld the kickstands to the bikes.
Without the front badge is there any way to tell the year of manufacture. Just to confirm...looks like this bike was modified with a scrub brake, had the kickstands welded on and had the original rear wheel set up with hand brake removed? Apparently the fenders were factory and not optional?

The engine is a H35 which I'm assuming is not original either and a see some extra holes on the mounting plate. From the ad pics this would have come with a chrome rear mounted gas tank?

Whoever repainted this bike did a nice job as it appears professionally applied. I don't see a speck of blue anywhere so they must have sanded this bike down first. What about the headlight..how common were they?

Would love to restore it

Now are you going to restore it back to original or just enjoy and ride it.:thumbsup:
Mybiz - I love your bike. Do you still have that one? I would love to restore it if it's not too much hassle to find all the parts. I grew up in San Jose and remember the mini bike craze and everyone talking about Bonanza's; even remember the storefront on N. First Street where I would drool every time my parents drove us by in the station wagon. Never had one though.

I will definitely be keeping this. Funny thing is I wrote on a previous post that I have been wanting a 1967 model minibike to restore since that is my birth year. Well I don't know if this is a '67 but I'm told could be between '66-'68. Someone please inform me what the differences are between the BC 1200/1300 models. Also, what is the correct engine? Is the engine supposed to be white?

delray

i know this is a old thread,mybiz were did you find that picture of the Bonanza bike with a clinton engine on it? picture looks old and original. looks like maybe one year they had a clinton engine on a 1300 model? making it a 4hp motor?

mybiz

I got to leave for KC to pick up a VT-5 i think that pic was in Wayne's brochure's here at the top of the page on "What Is It" if not let me know and I'll look for it tonight when i get back...

delray

WOW, thats some awesome info on that bike.
i like how the engine puts out 3.5 hp, but will generate up to 4hp if operated at maximum rpm of 4200. thats really turning for a stock motor back in it's day,when the tecumseh's only were set at 3600rpm's. also was optional a lighted coil on a clinton engine. never seen one of them before:shrug:(rare) also said it does crate a problem in making the engine somewhat hard to start.
when they talk about the rear suspenion they make it sound like it's something new and also with the chrome chain cover. the smaller tires say they are 430/350-6 for size. twice they say the tire size for them. i never heard of that size? 410/350-6 i have. i have a pair of nos generals that say 12X4.00-6 jumbo JR. in 1968 brochures the smaller tires are 410/350-6.:shrug:
look at the spec's, bottom right corner next to model number bc-1200 .
is that the year 1966 1/2
i like the testing grounds marina DELRAY..........:smile:
i think i have a 3.5hp clinton laying around:rolleyes: