Bonanza BC project log

I picked up a Bonanza last weekend. I am not sure if it's a bc1200 or 1300.
Thought i would share my progress.

This is what it looked like when I bought it.
I paid $100. Had 2 HP Briggs and Stratton.

Engine removed

The rear wheel is broken so the tri star is just a place holder. Bought another from tippycanoe.

Engine

The 2 hp engine was removed.
I found a 1973 4 HP b&s today in a snow blower i bought for $45.
The 4 hp runs incredibly well.
What I like the most is the tin work.
I have never seen a cover over recoil.

The snow blower had a chain guard that might just look like it was original.

6doggie3

I'm digging the cover over the pull cord shroud!
What is it for? We don't have snow in Sacramento.

Nice build by the way!!!

:thumbsup:wow garey..........you have a lot more to work with than I had with mine............that motor and cover is awesome........I will be watching this build

Yeah, I hear you.
I moved here from Huntington Beach, never saw a snow blower before in my life.
I don't know why they put it on the engine other than an aesthetic design feature.

:thumbsup:wow garey..........you have a lot more to work with than I had with mine............that motor and cover is awesome........I will be watching this build
Yeah. Got the "bug" bad.
Can't wait to get the wheel from you. It will be here today.
BTW...did Bonanza's only come in blue?

good question and I am not sure...........most I have seen were blue.........im sure someone will come along and answer that for you, or you could look at the brochures in the photo section........that might help you....I think they had red tho.........

CarPlayLB

I think the shroud over the pull start is to pull warm air from the exhaust over the carb to keep it from icing...one of the eskimos will chime in I am sure!
Good deal on the bike!

Wheel and tire swap, chain guard mod

Thanks for the nice comments.
Now I can ride year round w/o icing up.
:thumbsup:
I got the wheel and tire from tippycanoenm on Friday and switched out the front tire for the bigger one that came on the new wheel.
It looks a lot better w/ same size bigger tires.
I cut the chain guard from snow blower to clear the frame by jack shaft and swing arm mounts.
I think it looks pretty good. That is what initially caught my eye in the classified ad.

If you need, I'd be willing to help you out by taking that Johnson Seahorse off your hands. It'd look great on my '55 FeatherCraft Vagabond
That is actually a 48 Volt DC electric outboard I made.
I lived on a lake in Southern California and gas engines were banned so I made a trolling motor to create a wake.
It uses a 48 vdc MinnKota lower and all golf cart speed control. It has a reversing contactor and forklift joystick for the throttle.
Seriously...
See:

capguncowboy

[video=youtube;GekwzxaX-6U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekwzxaX-6U[/video]
Bench test
That's awesome! There are a couple of parks nearby with restrictions on the lakes about gas engines. I never had considered making an outboard electric motor. Does it run like a gas powered, or does it run like a trolling motor?

The minnkota is designed to push a 30' pontoon "party deck" boat 5 mph.
It's all stainless steel.
I never got it in the water before we moved.

Last edited: