Bonanza BC1100 restoration questions

I am disassembling the frame and removed the jackshaft. Are these shafts still around? One of the gears is seized on the shaft and the shaft itself is a wee bit deformed. It's not bad and I'm sure it will come off, but was wondering if there is an OEM replacement available. Also, while I am convinced that the engine is original, it's not the one specified in the brochures. It's an H25 (1968 I believe), so I would like to find an H30 short block with period correct plate with or without housing; separate or together I suppose. Also, what's the best way to remove the lower fork and springs? From what I gather, nuts and bolts seem to be original except for a hose clamp used instead of a snap ring on one end of the jackshaft.

Thanks Bonanza guys!

Ooops, I just noticed the jack shafts on Scooterboy's parts page. Wait, mine is 10 9/16" - What say you Scooterboy?

Last edited:
Take out the bolts and pul down and twist and pray that they aren't froozed in there. If you spray penatrating oil down the forks that helps. Post some pics of the bolts and I will tell if they are stock.

Take out the bolts and pul down and twist and pray that they aren't froozed in there. If you spray penatrating oil down the forks that helps. Post some pics of the bolts and I will tell if they are stock.
:lol: no kiddin.... It's all pretty simple math.. :shrug: look at it for 10 minutes.. drink a few beers... :shrug: you'll finger it out... Why buy a whole new damn motor when ya need rings AT WORST!!!!!??????? :shrug:

Some times you can get a rod inside the handlebars and pound the spring out.:doah: Other times you need to drill about a 1/4" hole a few inches above the spring retainer so you can get a rod on top of the retainer and pound it out.:eek: Then weld the hole closed.:thumbsup:

:lol: no kiddin.... It's all pretty simple math.. :shrug: look at it for 10 minutes.. drink a few beers... :shrug: you'll finger it out... Why buy a whole new damn motor when ya need rings AT WORST!!!!!??????? :shrug:
How about if I just have the beers and ask you guys? Yeah, if I can't get a short block on the cheap, I might just do that.

Some times you can get a rod inside the handlebars and pound the spring out.:doah: Other times you need to drill about a 1/4" hole a few inches above the spring retainer so you can get a rod on top of the retainer and pound it out.:eek: Then weld the hole closed.:thumbsup:
Thanks Allen; I just remembered you told me that.

Ooops, I just noticed the jack shafts on Scooterboy's parts page. Wait, mine is 10 9/16" - What say you Scooterboy?
Measure the distance between the JS Plates....inside dimension. Should be 8-1/4 on a front-peg bike, 8-3/4 on the mid-peg bikes. That will tell you which of the 2 Jackshafts you need on OldMiniBikes.:thumbsup:

get the plug out

Go to a rotor rooter drain cleaner guy and they have twisted up cable ask for a section of 1/2 cable about 30 inches long. Slid the cable into the end of the handlebar and smack the end :hammer::hammer::hammer:, That and the penetrating spray should free up the top of the spring plug. Steve

Measure the distance between the JS Plates....inside dimension. Should be 8-1/4 on a front-peg bike, 8-3/4 on the mid-peg bikes. That will tell you which of the 2 Jackshafts you need on OldMiniBikes.:thumbsup:
Ok, it's 8 1/4". I just ordered some other parts, so I'll add this.

Made a little headway with one of the springs, but no dice. My wife called me out of the garage. Lol - Anyway Allen, I'll try to make it up this weekend if I can figure out how to stay married at the same time. :)

Go to a rotor rooter drain cleaner guy and they have twisted up cable ask for a section of 1/2 cable about 30 inches long. Slid the cable into the end of the handlebar and smack the end :hammer::hammer::hammer:, That and the penetrating spray should free up the top of the spring plug. Steve
Steve, that's an awesome idea. I have some rooter cable somewhere; might be too thin. If not, I'll just bust up my closet auger. that sounds like it would work for sure.

If Allen can't get them out,I have a couple of tricks I use to get them out. Let me know with a personal message. I think I have an h30 block with blower housing and a 1968 code on it. The block has a slight crack in it and needs to be welded.

Last edited: