Bonanza Jackshaft Problem

I'm working on an old Bonanza for a friend of mine.

I has been google image searching for the last few hours and cannot find a picture like what I'm working with.

The problem is the chain will not stay on for more than 50 feet (if you're that lucky) before falling off and wreck havoc (chain jams and lock up the rear wheel lol). This one have rear suspension so if I sit on it the chain get really loose but when I stand up as there's no weight on it the chain get really tight, wayyy too tight and cause the clutch to drag.

It currently have no jackshaft and the chain is ran straight from the clutch to rear sprocket. there are jackshaft holes on it but only one side have a bearing in it (but it's tiny and junked) and the other side don't have any bearing to it and seem like it never had a bearing in there before. Also when I google image searched and I barely find any picture of a Bonanza without sprocket and brake on same side. The one I'm working with have brake on right side, sprocket on left side.

What I really want to do here is to be able to ride it without chain falling off on the first bump or turn. :confused:
Do anyone have any idea what I'm dealing with and what should I do to make it to ride reliably? Thanks! IMG_3841.JPG IMG_3843.JPG

Last edited:

6doggie3

You need to use a jackshaft with a swingarm!
If you were to use rear struts instead of shock's the chain might stay on?
Or a chain tensioner might work also!

You need to use a jackshaft with a swingarm!
If you were to use rear struts instead of shock's the chain might stay on?
Or a chain tensioner might work also!
I think the same regards needing the jackshaft but the problem is the rear wheel have brake on right side, sprocket on left side. Unicorn?

markus

run your clutch and sprocket outside the jackshaft plate, bonanza actually built them that way to get the engines more centered. They still ran the driven side on the right but you could still run it on the left

gbabins1

run your clutch and sprocket outside the jackshaft plate, bonanza actually built them that way to get the engines more centered. They still ran the driven side on the right but you could still run it on the left

Sweet Jesus that's a nice one Markus!

we are working in the dark here! Can you get some pics of the rear wheel from both sides?
A little in the dark with out a photo. What model Bonanza do you have? If you have rear shocks, you need to use the swing are. Also you might want to check that none of the welds broke loose on the motor plate. This has happened to me a couple of times. Especially if you are heavy.:laugh: Hold the brake and rev the engine and see if the motor moves.

for a quick fix,
pic 4 shows 2 holes in the right area for a bicycle or homemade chain tensioner on a bolt with a spring action to be mounted.
at least then you could ride it till you get the original parts.
also,if you do this,loosen up the chain because you already said its binding with no travel.
let the tensioner do the work.

Last edited:

george3

LOL I never seen that set up on a bonanza. Looks like someone turned the teeth of the bonanza sprocket to use the drum for the brake and bolted on some pos sprocket. To correct this Buy a new Bonanza sprocket, Jack shaft, and Jack shaft sprockets. Does the sprocket spin straight and not up and down, like it is off center? If its straight Just do the tensioner like was already mentioned, if you don't want to sink some cash in to it.