Bonanza.... Why?

I don't know. Glutton for punishment maybe. Got this POS, not cheap and beating myself up for it. It was dark when I saw it is all I can say... Maybe a few beers...

Anyway, this thing is more swiss cheese and crap welds. Another of my usual "lets see how bad of a bike I can find and fix it" builds.

Bars are bent, swingarm is bent... At leasst the grey primer on the footpegs saved the chrome. Someone added the rubber front fender. Forward peg catastrophe. Badge #17143.

Pics of the damage:

In this pic, it almost looks like part of an under seat gas tank mount was welded to the bottom of the seat mount, then cut off.

Hmmm.

Thanks again Evil Ed for the swingarm. The one on this bike has both the adjuster brackets ripped off.

Plan for build? Pretty much a similar to original 1300/1400 build with 8" spinners and an HS50, although a Pirahna is possible....

Last edited:
Here is an underside pic of the possible under seat tank bracket remnant...

All the holes are now welded up. I also found one of the shock mounts severely ovalled out. Welded it up and will redrill. Going to take it down and get blasted to see how much more needs to be done.

For some reason the jackshaft brackets look a little off to me. :shrug:

125ccCrazy

That looks like the crap I usually end up with... once it's blasted and you started grinding the junk off it will take shape pretty quick..

Great starts to a project. When you say the jackshaft plates look a little off what do you mean. I have had almost 10 bonanzas now some restored some just frames. All have had weird jackshaft plates. Kinda look like they were welded at the end of the shift and not completely centered.

Here is the jackshaft plate. They are welded decent and straight, but why the bottom hole closest to the frame? Something was mounted there, dunno what. Both plates are like this. Also, something was mounted in the upper corner hole on both sides. This side I expect for the clutch guard, but why the other side? :shrug:

HA...thats no hill for a climber ! You got this one Don...no problem...:scared: GOOD LUCK !!!!!
Thanks! As far as the Hillcat, I just need to weld on some seat mounts then off to powder. I will be getting 3 bikes ready to be powdercoated at the same time. This one, the Hillcat and a BC1000.

Get a piece solid copper rod as close to id of the inside of the fork and back those holes up when welding. That way the inside of the fork tube doesn't get any slag in it so the springs will slide back up in the tube. :thumbsup: