Brake Cable Questions

wb4rt

I searched, but did not find what I'm looking for.

My brake cable is barely long enough to reach the connector. I have the cable thru and screwed down, but is is not even a 1/4" out of the other side.

So, here's what I need to know.

1. Do I need to shorten the conduit? Just cut off an inch or so and put the metal tip back on? Any tricks to this?

2. The cable is flared on the end from screwing down. When I have tried to trim or re-twist it together it just seems to get worse. How do I trim the flared ends off - maybe hold the good part in pliers so it doesn't untwist or flatten? Can I solder the ends to make a tight end so it goes through the hole easier? How much needs to extend - don't want it to slip out at the wrong time.

3. Any good advice on adjusting the brakes? I either have little to no braking or the brakes are engaged all the time.

Thank you for your help. :scooter:

I searched, but did not find what I'm looking for.

My brake cable is barely long enough to reach the connector. I have the cable thru and screwed down, but is is not even a 1/4" out of the other side.

So, here's what I need to know.

1. Do I need to shorten the conduit? Just cut off an inch or so and put the metal tip back on? Any tricks to this? If you have enough slack in the cable, yes, cut the outside sheathing after removing the cable so it doesn't get cut. I use a lighter flame- doesn't take much- to remove the ferule. I reinstall it on the cut sheath the same way.

2. The cable is flared on the end from screwing down. When I have tried to trim or re-twist it together it just seems to get worse. How do I trim the flared ends off - maybe hold the good part in pliers so it doesn't untwist or flatten? Can I solder the ends to make a tight end so it goes through the hole easier? How much needs to extend - don't want it to slip out at the wrong time.
It's almost impossible to get a good solder on these. I use quality wire pliers to cut the cable with so it lays flat. Once you've got it threaded through wherever, use a wire cable crimp- from a bicycle store.

3. Any good advice on adjusting the brakes? I either have little to no braking or the brakes are engaged all the time.No good advice from me. I have the same problems most of the time. It depends on the brake type and condition of the brakes. I tend to go with a bit of drag on old stuff, let it wear out the out of round parts, and eventually it stops rubbing. If it's a new drum and a new shoe, you have alignment or spacer issues.

Thank you for your help. :scooter:
My two cents worth on a slow news day. All of this depends on the application. Heck, on most bikes, it's easier to get a new cable if things start getting too messed up. Good brakes and vintage mini bikes- an oxymoron.

WB4RT, Brand new cable and sheath assemblies only cost a few bucks. You'll waste more time trying to jury rig that old one than it's worth and probably still end up with an inferior setup. Go to OldMiniBikes Warehouse and get yourself a new assembly. The trick to cutting the inner cable is to mark where you're going to make your cut...apply some heat shrink tubing to that area and lay it on the flat part of a heavy vise or a steel plate. Using a sharp chisel and a heavy hammer give it one hard whack. You want to cut it completely with one single blow. They used this method for years back when aircraft wings were held together with flying wires. 73's. KB3ON. Sometimes know as Ogy.

buckeye

Cut all mine this way from Ogy's previous suggestion a couple years ago.
But, forgot about getting the metal piece off. Thanks Dave.:thumbsup:

wb4rt

Hey, Ogy and others.
This is a new cable. It just isn't quite long enough and it is the longest one they sell. Wish I could order a 70" or something so I have plenty to work with. I spent an hour yesterday trying to get the cable back into the retainer. I only need to trim 1/2". I'll try the whacking method!

Thank you for all the help. I love riding my minibike. After a day at work, I just crank it up and ride around - makes me happy! (course I'd like to be able to stop, too)

wb4rt

Good morning Buckeye.

I have my bike build in the Project Log. You can see a picture of it here: http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/project-logs/91171-gramps-mini-bike-build-4.html

The cable comes down the frame and along the top of the floor board. Doesn't seem unusually long to me, but I guess it is. I originally ran a shorter cable along the chain guard, but it was not a good long-term plan.

I'll have to add a recent picture so you can see it better.

wb4rt

OK, here is my question this week.

Anybody made a foot brake pedal like a car? I'm thinking of eliminating the cable altogether and use a piece of round rod connected to the brake tab and a foot pedal.

Good idea or bad? Any pictures of what has been done?

OK, here is my question this week.

Anybody made a foot brake pedal like a car? I'm thinking of eliminating the cable altogether and use a piece of round rod connected to the brake tab and a foot pedal.

Good idea or bad? Any pictures of what has been done?
Pretty much every go kart out there has this setup on it. Look up brake rods and the like, and you'll get some ideas. You bend the rod to get the right lay, and use threaded ends for adjustment. You can also get rod terminations, that convert the rod end to a cable for that final installation on your brake. (If that makes sense)