briggs 2 hp old

First thing i would check is the screen on the carb tube going into the gas tank. just pull the 2 screws out and pull the tank. check to make sure it's all clean.

Yeahh it looks like the diaphragm style 2 horse carb.. Take the little one inch square aluminum plate off the back side of the carb,, Blast out the holes with some carb cleaner and make sure everything is flowing good, then replace your diaphragm and ya should be good..

That's a Vacu-jet carb. There's no diaphragm. You can tell the difference by the choke handle. The Vacu-jet has a horizontal handle, the Pulsa-jet has a vertical handle, and has a diaphragm.

So, drop the tank and make sure the pick up tube is clear, and remove the mixture screw and with aerosol carb cleaner, make sure that is clear as well. Initial setting for this screw is 1.5 turns out(gently tighten all the way in, back it out 1.5 turns). With the engine running at approximately 3000 rpm, turn the screw in until the engine looses speed. Then turn the screw out until it begins to run unevenly. This may seem too rich, but should perform well under load.

og35891,

Mini motors is correct. What you have there is a nice little 2HP Briggs with a Vacu-jet carb. I have worked on both the Briggs pulsa-jet carbs and vacu-jet carb numerous times. The vacu-jet carb is a very simple design and sounds like it only needs a real thorough cleaning with carb cleaner. Also, make sure your gaskets are in good shape otherwise they should be replaced.

Heck, I picked up this vacu-jet, gave it a good cleaning, and it ran great on the engine.

[/IMG]

The Ruppster is exactly correct about the carb gaskets. As the name of this carb suggests, it uses a vacumn created by the moving engine piston to draw air and "pull" gas up from the tank and into the carb. If there are air leaks anywhere in the system it will not pull the fuel up properly or even at all. Check the gaskets at the tank to carb and at the carb to engine. If any appear bad, or if you have any doubts- replace them.

I wonder if "Golden Boy" is a Briggs thing. Cause if you compare both pics, it looks like both are the same. The only other answer is that they both were on an edger.

*edit. I just Googled Golden Boy, and nothing(relavent) came up. But by adding "edger" to it, the Golden Boy edger came up. So, there's that answer.

Last edited:
i had a montgomery ward edger with a 2hp briggs and that sucker was a great!!! somebody was throwing it out they had a car spark plug in it lol piston kept hitting the plug first problem... second it needed spark i bought the points no help then bought a used magneto and BAMN worked like a charm!! sold it at a friends garage sale $75. easy $$$ :thumbsup:

u got that right tom! its amazing how much power this these engine put out!! growing up i used to ride a friends minibike that only had a 2 or 2.5 briggs with a nice scoop intake but made boring days much more fun!!!:thumbsup: